Fillet fails to update

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Fillet fails to update

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm Sketch002 uses a zero dimension instead of a point-on-line constraint.
Great find! It supports the recommendation not to use zero length dimensions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm Sketch002 uses a zero dimension instead of a point-on-line constraint.
It's not always easy to find other errors or logic. Thank you.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
Here is my experience.
As soon as the file (Win 8 - FC 0.20 - 25997) is opened in the Tree View, the icons relating to the sketches signal that they are not closed, so I proceed with Sketcher to correct the error, not finding any errors, I close the editing task Sketcher and to my surprise I see in the Tree View that the icon is without error.
I proceed in the same way with the other two sketches obtaining the same result.
So I try to edit all the fillets, FreeCad runs without any problem.
The * .gif shows the above.
I attach the file.
Attachments
meelwormen schepje - V1-2.FCStd
(80.7 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
my_experience.gif
my_experience.gif (783.16 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

domad wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:32 pm As soon as the file (Win 8 - FC 0.20 - 25997) is opened in the Tree View, the icons relating to the sketches signal that they are not closed,
You probably mean that they seem not to be fully constrained. To my knowledge there no display in the tree for non closed sketches.
Concerning non fully constrained sketches the behaviour is normal, if the file was created with a version, that doesn't have this overlay.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Meslomp

Post by Meslomp »

All thanks for the help.

I first removed the 0mm dimension and replaced it with a guide with flat restriction.
That did not solve the problem.

I then changed the "refine" option on PAD001 from false to true and then I saw the seam(I suspect the line that was visible was a seam) disappear.
After that "Fillet 1mm" recalculated correctly.
Also said the second fillet then gave a fail.
When looking into that I saw that the edges present in the fillet were "garbage"I suspect that after the removal of the seam a number of edges and surfaces got a different name and that this issue still is not solved in version 0.19. After reselecting all the right fillets on all subsequent fillet parts now everything seems to be OK.

again thanks for the help and info.
I hope one day to be as good as you guys and be able to help here to.For now... onto my next stupid mistake and learning another thing or 2 on mechanical drawing.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:18 pm ......
You probably mean that they seem not to be fully constrained. To my knowledge there no display in the tree for non closed sketches.
Concerning non fully constrained sketches the behaviour is normal, if the file was created with a version, that doesn't have this overlay.
... yes chrisb, thanks for pointing out (!), I meant "not completely bound", sorry for the misinterpretation.
We hope that the misinterpretation is a good omen (or suggestion) for the developers .... :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We should be careful with words. We usually don't use the notion of "binding" for sketches. To avoid misunderstandings we should stick to the well known notions, in this case "attaching"