Behavior of nested containers when moving with Manipulator WB

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Behavior of nested containers when moving with Manipulator WB

Post by drmacro »

Peek 2021-12-04 07-51.gif
Peek 2021-12-04 07-51.gif (188.18 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

drmacro wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:52 pm gif...
Hi @drmacro
your issue is related to the fact you have a single object to be aligned to a Part multi objects, all inside a Part container.
If you would need to align the RGB driver to the flange you should:
1) in case of need reset the placement of the main Part container (Controller With Mount Plate)
2) move i.e. the RGBDriver Part container outside the main Part container (Controller With Mount Plate)
3) align the RGBDriver to the MKS Flat Mount
4) reinsert the RGBDriver inside the main Part container (Controller With Mount Plate)
align-multi-Part.gif
align-multi-Part.gif (581.73 KiB) Viewed 552 times
or
1) in case of need reset the placement of the main Part container (Controller With Mount Plate)
2) move i.e. the MKS Flat Mount outside the main Part container (Controller With Mount Plate)
3) align the RGBDriver to the MKS Flat Mount
4) reinsert the MKS Flat Mount inside the main Part container (Controller With Mount Plate)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I understand the process.

It would be nice not to require both KiCADStepup and Manipulator workbenches...

And, while I understand what's happening, it would be nice if there was more user friendly ways to align two objects relative to each other, that happen to be in a container. Seems the alignment should use the global coordinates of each object rather than the Placement properties.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

drmacro wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:29 pm I understand the process.
fine
drmacro wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:29 pm It would be nice not to require both KiCADStepup and Manipulator workbenches...
you can place the command inside a Global toolbar or a preferred WB toolbar without the need to move to ksu wb
Moreover ksu wb has many useful features for STEP aligning and handling
drmacro wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:29 pm And, while I understand what's happening, it would be nice if there was more user friendly ways to align two objects relative to each other, that happen to be in a container. Seems the alignment should use the global coordinates of each object rather than the Placement properties.
1) Manipulator WB has been designed to fast align and assemble mainly STEP models which are made of single objects or Part containers with one or more level of Parts/Objects
2) If you want to move one single object relative to an other single object or even a Part container, even if they are both inside a Part container, Manipulator wb can do the job
3) If you want to align a Part container to an other Part container NOT in the same part container, Manipulator wb can do the job
4) If you want to align a Part container to an other Part container in the SAME part container, the wb would need to receive more information to know which is the level of Part container the user is intended to move... the selection just get a single object which is contained in many level of other containers... For this operability you may switch to a more complex approach like A2, A3 or A4 workbenches... there you can detail more deeply which is the structure you want to move...

Here the demo for the case 2) [move one single object relative to an other single object or even a Part container, even if they are both inside a Part container]
This can be done unchecking the flag to use Part hierarchy to align the elements...
alignin-Obj-inside-Part.gif
alignin-Obj-inside-Part.gif (324.96 KiB) Viewed 454 times