How to delete an object in tree view and correct "NoneType" object errors

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TC2019

How to delete an object in tree view and correct "NoneType" object errors

Post by TC2019 »

Hello,

I am using Sheet Metal V0.2.31 in FreeCAD version 0.19 to create the base of an enclosure. I am seeking help on how to delete an object in a tree view and fix error with 'NoneType object is not subscriptable' error message.

I am attaching the Before, After, and png files for reference. The object that I would like to delete is shown in png file and labeled as 'Extend003 Rear' in FreeCAD Before file.

In the Before file, I deleted this Extend003 from the Tree View but this action created the above error with the object below it, shown in the After file. The rear surface is identified as Face38 and I think I have to attach Bend008 to this surface somehow to fix this broken model.

As aside question, are there any tutorials/documentation/info on how FreeCAD Sheet Metal works in terms of model revision (object moves/adds/changes)?. I have searched FreeCAD Tutorials and YouTube.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

FreeCAD details:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +148 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.4
Hash: 476ecf091941bead59b14e44afa6064d5a66afa3
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
Attachments
Base_Rev200_Before.FCStd
(193.95 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Base_Rev200_After.FCStd
(178.17 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
RearExtend.png
RearExtend.png (21.49 KiB) Viewed 512 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: How to delete an object in tree view and correct "NoneType" object errors

Post by papyblaise »

Sheetmetal like any other workshop is sensitive to topological renaming, so deleting an operation in the tree will inevitably cause a mess later
Tuto:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_Workbench/fr
TC2019

Post by TC2019 »

Hello and thanks for your input.

I had a look at that link and the limitations on topological naming does not sound good. Now I can see why I had strange problems earlier in revising a design where a change to an object leads to strange result on unrelated object.

Does it mean I have to delete all objects after that Extend003 and recreate them after Delete?.

In going forward, is it possible to join bodies to create a final model?. Meaning, instead of building up a complete model in one body, I can create separate bodies (e.g., bottom, left side, right side, top side) so if there is a change in one body that has this topological naming issue, I just re-create that body only and rejoin the bodies instead of backtracking/reworking the whole thing to that changed object?. Or, do you have any recommendations in dealing with this limitation?.

I am just curious as to why permanent IDs (Edge1, Edge2, Face1, Face2, etc.) does not resolve this topological naming issue as it should, if software uses unique/one time assignment and keeps track of active IDs.

Thank you.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

You can reattach Bend008 Rear 45 :
* select its Data : base Object
* open the full menu : [...]
* select the right face in the object (need to zoom in to be able able to catch it)

File : other flow
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-05-24 210701.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-05-24 210701.jpg (68.02 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Base_Rev200_Before_SHALM.FCStd
(83.65 KiB) Downloaded 9 times