Quickly Finding Specific Constraints

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Helmanfrow

Quickly Finding Specific Constraints

Post by Helmanfrow »

Let's say I have a sketch with hundreds of constraints and from among those I'd like to find and delete a particular coincident constraint which occurs at a corner. Currently what I do is filter the constraint panel by "coincident" and scroll through those until the point I'd like to liberate turns green. Then I delete that constraint and test the drawing to make sure I didn't delete the wrong one.

Is there any way to quickly filter the constraint list to show only those associated with a selected geometric element?
Bance
Veteran

Re: Quickly Finding Specific Constraints

Post by Bance »

Don't make sketches that contain hundreds of constraints.

Many simple sketches are better than one mess.....
Helmanfrow

Post by Helmanfrow »

I fully agree, and yet here we are.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

First: follow bance's advice.
Second: Sketcher SelectConstraints
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Helmanfrow

Post by Helmanfrow »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:43 pm First: follow bance's advice.
Whenever possible.
chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:43 pm Second: Sketcher SelectConstraints
Many thanks.
Last edited by Helmanfrow on Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Helmanfrow wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:55 am ...]
Whenever possible.
You are missing the point. Very competent and experienced users (having completed many hours and projects and aided many new users) are offering appropriate workflows, that they know to be best practice.

Very simple sketches...ALWAYS.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Helmanfrow

Post by Helmanfrow »

drmacro wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:47 am You are missing the point. Very competent and experienced users (having completed many hours and projects and aided many new users) are offering appropriate workflows, that they know to be best practice.

Very simple sketches...ALWAYS.
I'm really quite familiar with the concept but I was doing something very specific.

Specifically, I was working out the dimensions for a shed I'm building and needed to balance the various by-law restrictions against my space requirements and material usage. The best way I found to do this was using a FreeCAD sketch in which I could apply the by-law restrictions as constraints while adjusting parameters for preferential dimensions and materials options.

I was working entirely in 2D; essentially drafting but with a little parametric help. I don't see how multiple sketches would have been of use to me in this case.
Screenshot 2022-10-07 141636.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-07 141636.jpg (132.07 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

File ?
Helmanfrow

Post by Helmanfrow »

Sure, why not.
In my municipality the following by-laws apply:
Maximum height of the structure is 2.8m (~9' 2.25").
  • For a roof with an incline of 15°or less height is measured from grade to the highest point.
  • For a roof with an incline of greater than 15°height is measured from grade to the median point between the ridge and the eave (hence the slope of 15.1°).
Maximum footprint of the structure is 100m².
Maximum overhang is 30cm (~12").

The design of the attached file is close but not necessarily final; it's just where I happened to be when you requested it.
For example I made the roof twelve feet wide to fully utilize as much sheathing as possible but this may prove less than ideal for other reasons.
Attachments
Shed Geometry.FCStd
(13.12 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by Helmanfrow on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helmanfrow

Post by Helmanfrow »

My initial design was just a basic outline of the shell with all the wall thicknesses taken into account. I added the various layers separately even though they're not strictly necessary. I could still have changed the parameters using the Values spreadsheet but I like seeing lines, I guess.

Also, for the record, I'm exporting the line art to DXF and importing it into SketchUp, in which I'm doing all my modeling.