Need Help with Trimming Tool Please

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: Need Help with Trimming Tool Please

Post by bejant »

cox wrote:Hi,

It might be related to this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10058.
Thanks cox, I was trying to remember that topic and couldn't.
cox wrote:EDIT: Doing it this way you will also loose the 3 tangential constraints when trimming. I do not see a reason for these not to be carried over the trim operation as it does the other ones.
I'm thinking that if a Tangency Constraint and a Fix Point Onto A Line are already applied as you mentioned, and the Trim tool is used afterwards, that the Tangency Constraint should be applied between the existing endpoints and the newly created ones...
clintonsam75 wrote:Bejant, thank you for teaching me about the M key with the polyline tool! I never knew FreeCAD had that awesome feature! :mrgreen:
You're welcome! (I learned of it from NormandC and use it often)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote:You're welcome! (I learned of it from NormandC and use it often)
I think the Sketcher Polyline icon should reflect that it can do arcs as well as lines. This way people would know visually that it can do other things than lines. Long ago (June 2012!) I proposed an alternate icon and never got any feedback. :roll:

Existing icon:

My proposal:
Sketcher_CreatePolylineArc.png
Sketcher_CreatePolylineArc.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 715 times
cox

Post by cox »

NormandC wrote: Long ago (June 2012!) I proposed an alternate icon and never got any feedback. :roll:
I like your proposal very much :)
bejant wrote:I'm thinking that if a Tangency Constraint and a Fix Point Onto A Line are already applied as you mentioned, and the Trim tool is used afterwards, that the Tangency Constraint should be applied between the existing endpoints and the newly created ones...
Acording to the wiki http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... nt_Tangent
There are four kinds of tangent constraints i will use the naming from there.

point-to-curve tangency includes a fix point to curve so it should not be nececery with any other constraint.
It might be better to consider both of theese constraints as being redundant. So if one is applied to another it might be posible to replace acording to this:

point-to-curve tangency + Fix Point Onto A curve -> point-to-curve tangency
Fix Point Onto A curve + point-to-curve tangency -> point-to-curve tangency
direct tangency + Fix Point Onto A curve -> point-to-curve tangency
Fix Point Onto A curve + direct tangency -> point-to-curve tangency

Aplying trim on this works now, so we only need to add a point-to-point constraint like this :

point-to-curve tangency + trim ->point-to-point tangency (witch includes coinsident)
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

NormandC wrote:I think the Sketcher Polyline icon should reflect that it can do arcs as well as lines. This way people would know visually that it can do other things than lines.
I second your proposal.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

I like the idea of a new icon too but I think there should be two more line segments forming a vee from the right endpoint of the arc, and not tangent to it. Kind of like the existing icon but with an arc at the peak. But that may be too much at a small icon size...