Save Picture Bug

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
clintonsam75

Re: Save Picture Bug

Post by clintonsam75 »

wmayer wrote:About the BMP format: For me it's the very first time that the default is BMP (because that's the first entry of the list) but when choosing PNG it defaults to PNG too the next time the dialog.
Yea, I noticed that after I posted. Later when I went to save another picture its default was png. Then I realized it just remembers what the last choice was.

So what's your take on the grid lines? You know how they disappear and reappear as you do your construction? Do you agree with me that it's a bug or do you think it's a 'feature'? Personally, I think that if that behavior was purposefully programmed into the software that it was a terrible idea. :(
Last edited by clintonsam75 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

clintonsam75 wrote:So what's your take on the grid lines? You know how they disappear and reappear as you do your construction? Do you agree with me that it's a bug or do you think it's a 'feature'? Personally, I think that if that behavior was purposefully programmed into the software that it was a terrible idea
I know you're talking to wmayer, but I posted the links to (some of) the relevant bug tricker tickets in your "Is This Normal" topic.

If you missed them, here they are again:
issue #1049 and issue #1271
wmayer wrote:Ahem!
Ha! Thanks for the education ... sincerely!
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

bejant wrote:I know you're talking to wmayer, but I posted the links to (some of) the relevant bug tricker tickets in your "Is This Normal" topic.

If you missed them, here they are again:
issue #1049 and issue #1271
Yes. I saw that. I was only mentioning it because of the comment from that other post. Do you remember how he said it was more of a feature than a bug? I can't always tell when people are joking. :lol:

Thanks again for all the info you provide. You are very, very helpful and I can't stress enough how much I appreciate your assistance over everything. You're awesome, Bejant! :mrgreen:
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

So what's your take on the grid lines? You know how they disappear and reappear as you do your construction? Do you agree with me that it's a bug or do you think it's a 'feature'? Personally, I think that if that behavior was purposefully programmed into the software that it was a terrible idea.
I think this was intended because when you make a static grid how do you know how big it must be? Then if you make a big grid and run a view fit at some point everything becomes very small because the camera zooms out so that everything becomes fully visible.
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

wmayer wrote:I think this was intended because when you make a static grid how do you know how big it must be? Then if you make a big grid and run a view fit at some point everything becomes very small because the camera zooms out so that everything becomes fully visible.
I see what you're saying, about not knowing how big to make the grid, but seeing it in action doesn't seem to work out very well. I like the way Blender does it whereby we can specify a grid size in the settings. Having a grid shrink and grow from the very moment a single line is placed is very discombobulating. And it is especially cumbersome when the main x and y axis disappear as well. I'm happy there are a few tickets for getting it fixed.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I like the way Blender does it whereby we can specify a grid size in the settings.
So when you have a grid in Blender and you put the object somewhere at its border. What does happen there? Is there a way that the grid can be resized in a way?
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

wmayer wrote:
I like the way Blender does it whereby we can specify a grid size in the settings.
So when you have a grid in Blender and you put the object somewhere at its border. What does happen there? Is there a way that the grid can be resized in a way?
Yes, it can be resized. Just press n on the keyboard to bring up the properties shelf and scroll all the way down to the display section and expand it by clicking on the arrow (on my computer it's already expanded) and then change the number of grid lines. The whole process takes about 2 seconds.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

clintonsam75 wrote:Thanks again for all the info you provide. You are very, very helpful and I can't stress enough how much I appreciate your assistance over everything
You're very welcome! Glad to be of help.