How do I do multiple sketches

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
songzhuang

How do I do multiple sketches

Post by songzhuang »

Hi,

How do I do multiple sketches in the same project. I want one in the xy plane and a second one in the yz plane. After I do the xy plane sketch and save it, I try to start a new one by clicking on Create or edit sketch and it takes me to the xy one. How do I start a new one for yz plane? I am sure the answer is very obvious, but I am having trouble finding it.

Thanks,
ektus

Re: How do I do multiple sketches

Post by ektus »

Short answer: You don't. At least not in current Part Design.

All sketches except the very first one must be based and located on faces of already existing bodies, creating a sequence of features that create the final body.

Regards
Ektus.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

You do, Sketcher is not PartDesign.
songzhuang wrote:I try to start a new one by clicking on Create or edit sketch and it takes me to the xy one.
I suspect you are using 0.14. Deselect the previous sketch by clicking empty space before creating a new one.
In 0.15, it was fixed, so clicking New sketch always creates a new sketch (a separate command was added to edit the selected one).
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DeepSOIC wrote:I suspect you are using 0.14.
Which is why songzhuang should have read the IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help topic. It is at the very top of the Help forum, just under the "NEW TOPIC" button. I find it frustrating that many newcomers fail to see it. :roll:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ektus wrote:Short answer: You don't. At least not in current Part Design.

All sketches except the very first one must be based and located on faces of already existing bodies, creating a sequence of features that create the final body.
While true, you can create sketches on any plane you want if they are not mapped to a face on the solid. But it means that Pocket and Groove features will not be available, and additive features (Pad, Revolution) will not fuse with the existing Part Design feature.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

NormandC wrote:Which is why songzhuang should have read the IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help topic. It is at the very top of the Help forum, just under the "NEW TOPIC" button. I find it frustrating that many newcomers fail to see it.
Maybe a new user should have to click on that topic before they can post, or that it is the only topic available to a new user until they open and close it. Someone also suggested a requirement that a new user pass a simple quiz on that material. I guess people do see it but ignore it.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote:Maybe a new user should have to click on that topic before they can post, or that it is the only topic available to a new user until they open and close it.
This might be asking too much of the forum engine. I haven't seen how it could be set up that way. Then again, the forum' Administrator Control Panel is a maze.

In the past 3 weeks I've seen a few newcomers post their FreeCAD info, showing they were running v0.14.3700, while the Read me's "Are you sure your FreeCAD version is current?" section clearly indicates v0.15.4671 is the last version. Either they didn't read past the "Please post your FreeCAD info" section, or I don't know what. :?