Arch Roof : cannot edit the roof

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kimented

Arch Roof : cannot edit the roof

Post by kimented »

Hello,

I'm trying to use the roof tool to make a roof of 4 sides (for the moment). I made a rectangle wire counter-clockwise and activate the roof tool, but when I want to edit the function, I did not see the table to edit the parameters. Instead, I can rotate/displace the roof... I don't know why, because I already tried this tool, it worked in another test project.

This is the problem I have:
http://lkiefer.org/freecad/edit_bad.png

This is the menu I want to have:
http://lkiefer.org/freecad/edit_good.png

The project I'm workin on:
http://lkiefer.org/freecad/roof.fcstd

What I really want to do, I think I should use two roof function to have this:
http://lkiefer.org/freecad/roof.jpg
FreeCAD 0.16+ last build (PPA) - Linux Mint 17.1 x86 - French :!:
bejant
Veteran

Re: Arch Roof : cannot edit the roof

Post by bejant »

Hi kimented, and welcome here. Usually double-clicking an item in the hierarchy tree allows you to edit it; did you give that a try?

If you enclose your screen grab links in img brackets:

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
And by using the button at the top of window where you type your message we'll be able to see them directly in your post...

Edit: there's no roof in your FreeCAD file; it's different than your screen grabs.
kimented

Post by kimented »

Thank you for your answers.
Usually double-clicking an item in the hierarchy tree allows you to edit it; did you give that a try?
Yes, this is what I do. Some times it works, in this file it doesn't works... I retried just now, it works again :?
If I have this bug again, i'll post the file with the roof (effectively, I deleted the roof before I uploaded the file).

I do not used the [img] tag because I thought my images are a little too big.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

If you right-click on an object in the hierarchy tree, the topmost selection in the pop-up menu is Edit, and the one below that is Transform. Somehow you're getting Transform as seen in edit_bad.png but I don't know how that happens.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Hi kimented,
After playing a bit to make the roof as you want (at the moment I don't get it) I managed to have the behavior you describe, but I don't know how. After restarting FreeCAD it was ok.
I will investigate as soon as possible.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
kimented

Post by kimented »

This is what happens to me! When I have a bug with the roof (if I cannot edit it, or if it is hidden in 3d view), I figured out that I must close the software and reopen the project. Then, it works...

I managed to get the roof I want with three roof functions:

doo2

Post by doo2 »

Very old message, but I have the same issue in 2018, and I have found a semi-solution, which should be helpful to the developers.

It appears that properties of the roof have more values than edges on the roof (e.g. 11 values in square brackets [22,45,90,45,45,90,45,90,90,45,90] instead of 8, which is the number of edges)
If I remove all excess values in the properties, for angles, heights, overhang etc, to get to 8 [22,45,90,45,45,90,45,90], then the double click allows me to edit properly again. (instead of seeing the 3D referential appear)

Cheers,
Ed
editedusername

Post by editedusername »

doo2 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 pm Very old message, but I have the same issue in 2018, and I have found a semi-solution, which should be helpful to the developers.

It appears that properties of the roof have more values than edges on the roof (e.g. 11 values in square brackets [22,45,90,45,45,90,45,90,90,45,90] instead of 8, which is the number of edges)
If I remove all excess values in the properties, for angles, heights, overhang etc, to get to 8 [22,45,90,45,45,90,45,90], then the double click allows me to edit properly again. (instead of seeing the 3D referential appear)

Cheers,
Ed
And it's now 2019 and I see the same problem with 0.18.1 release version.

Your work-around still works! Thank you very much for posting it.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

doo2 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 pm Very old message, but I have the same issue in 2018, and I have found a semi-solution, which should be helpful to the developers.

Cheers,
Ed
word censored wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi, do you mind to file a bug report please.
editedusername

Post by editedusername »

paullee wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:22 am

Cheers,
Ed
word censored wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi, do you mind to file a bug report please.
Very interesting, actually. I've attempted to reproduce the issue that I see in my project (which show up even when I create a sketch on the side) in a new project.

The issue doesn't happen in a new project. My project (where I've seen the issue) was created with version 0.17.13541 but was being manipulated with version 18.1 (built from what was returned by the command wget https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/arch ... 8.1.tar.gz which I ran on April 13 @2200 CDT).

If you wish, I'll still file a bug report (I've gone through the effort to make an identity for the bug tracker, after all) but this appears to be a slightly different problem.