Dimensions again

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
silvesterde

Re: Dimensions again

Postby silvesterde » Tue May 05, 2015 9:42 pm

oh my... tried freecad 0.16. Now the wall gets 24 km wide and 263 km high...
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.4924 (Git)
Python version: 2.7.8
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed May 06, 2015 4:08 pm

silversterde: all your problems come from a bug/problem in the input fields in FreeCAD. You'll need either to wait until it's solved or, in the meantime, use a point as the decimal separator everywhere...

This works for me: Units = MKS, default wall width: 200.00 mm, default wall height: 2000.00 mm. This correctly gives me a wall that is 20cm thick and 2m high...
silvesterde

Postby silvesterde » Wed May 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi yorik, thanks for your support. But as long as i am using the german decimal comma (due to other software i am using), my input of 200.00 mm will immediately be translated to 2000,00 mm at the moment i click in any other field. This seems not to be the right behaviour even since FreeDAC applies my german locale. 200.00 to 2000,00 is not easy to understand. And when is start drawing, everything changes to "km".

So as the bug in Arch is identified but not easy to handle? Dimensions are not handled in some kind of "Core"? I wish i could help.
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.4924 (Git)
Python version: 2.7.8
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed May 06, 2015 5:19 pm

This is not a bug in Arch but in the FreeCAD units interface. And there is an ongoing discussion about the best way to attack the problem, that's basically why it takes time.
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Sun May 17, 2015 1:42 pm

DeepSOIC wrote:* accept both comma and point as a decimal separator, regardless of system separator
ickby wrote:There was a lengthy discussion somewhere why not both seperators are possible, but cant find it anymore. Maybe werner can shed some light on this
Some pointers:
viewtopic.php?t=6910
viewtopic.php?t=7182&start=30
It looks like my opinion is the same as jriegel's opinion.
But it appeared that this doesn't work.
This is not a bug in Arch but in the FreeCAD units interface. And there is an ongoing discussion about the best way to attack the problem, that's basically why it takes time.
The problem is not the input field. The problem is in ArchWall.py. The passed text is in C locale and the input field class removes group separators for internal purposes. To fix this the passed text must be conform to the OS locale settings. You can do this with QLocale.toString.