Toggle visibility on groups - bug?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Brutha

Toggle visibility on groups - bug?

Post by Brutha »

Hi All,

One thing I noticed: let's say I have a couple of different groups, for example "site" with my terrain, "walls" with the walls of my house and "roof" containing the roof (obviously!).

The walls have an object subtracted from them so they match the contours of the roof.

If I toggle the visibility on the "walls" group, when I switch them back on I see not only the walls but also the object that has been subtracted from the walls.

Is that the way the "toggle visibility" for groups is supposed to work (make all objects in the group visible)? Or should there be some intelligence to know that some objects should still be invisible?

Not sure if this is a feature rather than a bug, let me know if I should raise one!

Cheers

Brutha
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Toggle visibility on groups - bug?

Post by DeepSOIC »

I think this should be considered a bug, but I think it comes from the way groups are implemented in FreeCAD. I don't know very well, how they work, but I think I know something:
The thing is that a group is merely a list of what objects it contains, not the actual objects themselves. Hence, any object can be contained in two groups at the same time, and this is probably what you are facing. FreeCAD's tree view can't show such a situation properly yet, a dependency graph should clear things up (menu Tools -> dependency graph, GraphViz needs to be installed for that to work).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It depends on how you construct your model... When toggling the group on/off, it toggles all the objects inside that group (the object listed by FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.SomeGroup.Group). If you placed your wall inside that group, but that you also placed the subtracted object inside the group, then yes, it will be toggled together. The fix is to remove your subtracted object from the group (it will appear under the wall in the tree even so). In the Draft and Arch workbenches, you have a utility context menu option to remove an object from all groups...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This will be fixed once the assembly branch gets merged into master.