Ridge tiles on roof...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Brutha

Ridge tiles on roof...

Post by Brutha »

Hi All,

So, moving on with my modelling nicely now!

I'm trying to find an elegant way of modelling the ridge tiles on the lower part of the roof - it's the red lines in the image below.

The ridge tiles at the top of the main roof, and the roof of the porch were easy, I could just extrude a sketch for those. But I can't find an elegant way of modelling the ridge tiles in the lines shown, and have them smoothly go into the ridge tiles at the top of the porch.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Brutha
roof.png
roof.png (132.84 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Ridge tiles on roof...

Post by yorik »

I think you could use more or less the same method, draw a sketch to use as a profile, then instead of extruding it, make a sweep along one of the edges. The you can mirror it. The hard part will be to do a nice joining where the two ridges meet, maybe you'll need to make it extend further, then subtract a vertical volume to create a clean vertical face...
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Thanks! I might give your thought a go, as what I came up with in the end was not very "parametric"!

This is what I did:

- Using the draft workbench, I created a copy of the front face (in green below) and moved it forward, towards the camera.
- Created a sketch that was a bit bigger than that face, then extruded it back to meet the main roof
- Created a sketch on one of the sides, then extruded that and subtracted from the the first extrusion.
- Finally, I filleted three edges of the object to smooth those edges.
porch ridge tiles.png
porch ridge tiles.png (79.35 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Well done! There are always hundreds of ways to do something in freecad...