Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm ...Edit: I went ahead and created SheetMetal_Bend. It now just needs to be populated correctly.
First question: why wouldn't we add the new doc for these new functions here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_Workbench
:?:
Because we're going to declutter the SheetMetal Workbench page by splitting off the individual commands in to their own wiki pages. This is how we traditionally document a workbench. We'll also need to split papyblaise's SheetMetal Tutorial in to own page as well. All of these pages will be referenced from the Workbench page. Does that make sense?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

We'll also need to split papyblaise's SheetMetal Tutorial
:?: :?: Which one :?: :?:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

papyblaise wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:01 pm
We'll also need to split papyblaise's SheetMetal Tutorial
:?: :?: Which one :?: :?:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_ ... #Tutorials

Edit: errr...my bad I meant @meme2704 (my apologies)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:51 pm
drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm ...Edit: I went ahead and created SheetMetal_Bend. It now just needs to be populated correctly.
First question: why wouldn't we add the new doc for these new functions here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_Workbench
:?:
Because we're going to declutter the SheetMetal Workbench page by splitting off the individual commands in to their own wiki pages. This is how we traditionally document a workbench. We'll also need to split papyblaise's SheetMetal Tutorial in to own page as well. All of these pages will be referenced from the Workbench page. Does that make sense?
Ok, didn't know about the restructure.

Side note: I notice that this lnk: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Artwork_Sketcher does not include this icon:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ameter.svg
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm
drmacro wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:21 pm I am happy to attempt said documentation.
Is there an approved template page for consistency with the rest of the wiki?

Where does one typically get the icon files to use in the doc page? (simple as got to github and find them?)

Can I just make my own examples?
I can upload the icons for you. I'm getting them from https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_Sheet ... rces/icons
We try to rename the icons for the wiki by their workbench name like this:
AddBend.svg will become SheetMetal_Bend.svg
That way if someone is creating a wiki page and wants to reference a command, they'll use this formatting to always get the name and icon correct.

If you're not feeling savvy to add templates and fill them out just feel free to create the sections and populate them. Description, Usage, Properties, Notes etc....

A good example of an external workbench wiki page is the FCGear Workbench
Here is an individual command within the workbench: FCGear_BevelGear

If you can create a page for each command that would be fantastic.

Edit: I went ahead and created SheetMetal_Bend. It now just needs to be populated correctly.

I started to tinker with this...but didn't get too far.

[[Image:SheetMetal_Bend.svg|32px]] appears to be available, I added it to the template and it is shown.

BUt other files from the the github.com/shaise... dont seem to be. I tried [[Image:SheetMetal_Relief.svg|32px]] and didn't show up.

So, I did a wget on the AddJunction.svg and changed the name to SheetMetal_Junction.svg. But, the wiki upload says it's text/html and won't upload it.

I figure I need to master images in the page...text is easy. :cry:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm So, I did a wget on the AddJunction.svg and changed the name to SheetMetal_Junction.svg. But, the wiki upload says it's text/html and won't upload it.
The trick is to grab the raw git file. See image:
Save that locally, rename, and then upload to the wiki.
drmacro wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm I tried [[Image:SheetMetal_Relief.svg|32px]] and didn't show up.
Should be available now, I created a page SheetMetal Relief that now needs to be correctly populated

Edit: to see what command pages I've created already for SheetMetal see http://wiki.freecadweb.org/Category:SheetMetal
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

2 questions :
Why this pages isn't mark on translation
SheetMetal Relief
and
Category:SheetMetal
Why this pages start whith an picture of gear pignon
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

papyblaise wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:23 am 2 questions :
Why this pages isn't mark on translation
SheetMetal Relief
and
Category:SheetMetal
Why this pages start whith an picture of gear pignon
It's not ready for translation yet. Both of them were created just recently. Once they are complete we will mark them for translation

Edit: SheetMetal Relief has been copied as a template from an FCGear page. We need to populate it with the correct info (including graphics)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:44 pm Edit: SheetMetal Relief has been copied as a template from an FCGear page. We need to populate it with the correct info (including graphics)

Umm...I just updated it...I think. :roll:
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Edit: SheetMetal Relief has been copied as a template from an FCGear page
Ha Ok good idée
Umm...I just updated it...I think.
Yes it did