Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
-alex-
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by -alex- »

drmacro wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm just fyi started to add most of those yesterday...won't get to work on the again for a few days.
Thanks a lot for your help (BTW I've found how to create wiki pages since :oops: ).
However I can't access the wiki pages you've created, can't find them. AFAIK there is no new entry in Category:SheetMetal
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Yes, probably because I've only gotten as far as adding then the the Tools section here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/SheetMetal_Workbench

:( :oops:

Just didn't have time to get back to it on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...and it appears not today either. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

-alex- wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:58 pm
drmacro wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm just fyi started to add most of those yesterday...won't get to work on the again for a few days.
Thanks a lot for your help (BTW I've found how to create wiki pages since :oops: ).
However I can't access the wiki pages you've created, can't find them. AFAIK there is no new entry in Category:SheetMetal
We really need to reformat and declutter the Sheetmetal Workbench page. each command needs its own wiki page. The papyblaise tutorial needs to be in separate wiki page as well.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 pm
-alex- wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:58 pm
We really need to reformat and declutter the Sheetmetal Workbench page. each command needs its own wiki page. The papyblaise tutorial needs to be in separate wiki page as well.
I was thinking of revamping it. the whole page seemed clunky as I started adding the additional tools.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

doxy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 pm Sometimes I have the issue that I can’t use “Create a sheetmetal wall from a sketch”, because the sketch is not attached to a base plane of the body.

1. Create e. g. a cylinder in body 1.
2. Create body 2, with a shape binder on a flat face of the cylinder.
3. Create a sketch on this shape binder.
4. Use Create a sheetmetal wall from a sketch.

Result:

Code: Select all

13:38:34  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/doxy/snap/freecad/21/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalBaseCmd.py", line 142, in execute
    s = smBase(thk = fp.thickness.Value, length = fp.length.Value, radius = fp.radius.Value, Side = fp.BendSide, 
  File "/home/doxy/snap/freecad/21/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalBaseCmd.py", line 91, in smBase
    traj = slice_wire[0]
<class 'IndexError'>: list index out of range
The workaround is to attach the sketch to a base plane (if there is a parallel base plane), then use Create a shetmetal wall from a sketch with plenty length, then create a subtractive pocket with another sketch which may reference the shape binder / create a boolean with another body which may reference the shape binder.
I don’t know a workaround if the sheet metal shall not be parallel to a base plane. Datum plane also doesn’t work.
fix pushed. pls check.
https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_SheetMetal/pull/189
doxy

Post by doxy »

Thanks for fixing it quickly. Although I haven’t checked it yet. :)

I found another problem with “Extend one or more faces [with bend]”. It works correctly when I select faces directly adjacent, just separated by the bend of the previous “Extend [with bend]” operation. It will then make auto miter correctly, so the flaps don’t touch each other.

But when I select faces which are separated by other faces than just one bend, I get this error:

Code: Select all

14:44:28  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/doxy/snap/freecad/21/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalCmd.py", line 1081, in execute
    s, f = smBend(bendR = fp.radius.Value, bendA = bendAList[i], miterA1 = fp.miterangle1.Value, miterA2 = fp.miterangle2.Value,  
  File "/home/doxy/snap/freecad/21/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalCmd.py", line 634, in smBend
    miterA1List, miterA2List, gap1List, gap2List, extend1List, extend2List, reliefDList = smMiter(mainlist, 
  File "/home/doxy/snap/freecad/21/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalCmd.py", line 578, in smMiter
    dist1 = (p1 - vp1).Length
<class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'vp1' referenced before assignment
Reproducible by creating a sketch with a 12-gon, pad the sketch, select every second face, “Extend [with bend]”. The workaround is somehow “correct”, I just need to set Auto Miter = false.
doxy

Post by doxy »

Yeah! I was able to unfold all my sheet metal parts, at least after I removed self intersections.
Screenshot_20210315_170434.png
Screenshot_20210315_170434.png (21.22 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Screenshot_20210315_170648.png
Screenshot_20210315_170648.png (62.58 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Only in one case it placed a bend line at the wrong place.
Screenshot_20210315_170312.png
Screenshot_20210315_170312.png (13.52 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
thebighaggis

Post by thebighaggis »

Hi All
Loving the sheet metal workbench :)
Is it possible to have the fold wall set to default as middle rather than forward?
and also have the radius set to material thickness eg base bend radius continue on for folds?
Most flat sheet metal part fold lines if reverse engineering would use the middle option to fold on fold line.
I know I can edit the py file , but need to do this for every release..

Oh is there also a video tutorial on the new form tool?

Thank you all in advance
Haggis.. :)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b2ca86d8d72b636011a73394bf9bcdedb3b109b7
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

drmacro wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:44 pm
I was thinking of revamping it. the whole page seemed clunky as I started adding the additional tools.
Thanks for that! But as @Kunda1 said the plan is to declutter the main wiki page, in order to get something similar with FCGear_Workbench main page. So maybe you should'nt spend to much time on this page ATM.
We need to create missing pages first, then update the main page :-)
I'm gonna do that asap, any help is welcome.
BTW maybe we should discuss those wiki stuffs in wiki subforum.
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

* Automiter now support Material inside or offset.
* Added minReliefGap that useful to adjust relief position [ in case material inside condition].

fixes
https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_SheetMetal/issues/185

fixes
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p485877

Thanks for support as in below links
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56716
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 84#p487794

Testing & feedback requested.