Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by papyblaise »

yes it is done, even if for an economy of scrap, we often prefer to add these small brackets by electric resistance welding
Adie

Post by Adie »

run_the_race wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm
But my question is a bit off topic, cause it more about, is it generally possible for laser cutting/CNC bending fab shops to be able to make this sort of thing, or is it a design I should stay away from?
In practical terms it is better to have the gap as it reduce 'warping' of the material. From a 'bending' process the size of the gap does not matter as long it is not 'zero'

Adie
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

Adie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:35 pm
run_the_race wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm
But my question is a bit off topic, cause it more about, is it generally possible for laser cutting/CNC bending fab shops to be able to make this sort of thing, or is it a design I should stay away from?
In practical terms it is better to have the gap as it reduce 'warping' of the material. From a 'bending' process the size of the gap does not matter as long it is not 'zero'

Adie
HI Adie, thanks for that. But if the gap is really small, that means to bending tool must surely be exactly the same width? I imagine they have different sizes, every 5 or 10, or 20mm? I am only making 2 of these brackets, so I can't get custom tools made for it.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

yes it is obviously, when we have the chance to work in an old factory, we always find in the scrap heap the old bending tool of which we can recover the appropriate length :!:
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

After many weeks, I figured out what I thought was a bug. Whenever I want to right click on tree view, and "set tip", or "move object after another", its not listed there in the context menu. So then I activate a different body, and then activate the same body, and then those two options appear again.

So what happens when I toggle the active body twice, it goes back to Part Design WB, and then I can see the context items. Howcome when the Sheetmetal WB is active one can't see these context menu items?

I thought I was going crazy.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

run_the_race wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm ... those two options appear again.

So what happens when I toggle the active body twice, is it goes back to Part Design WB, and then I can see the context items. However, when the Sheetmetal WB is active I can't see these context menu items.
Any chance you can make a screen cast showing this?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

run_the_race wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm After many weeks, I figured out what I thought was a bug. Whenever I want to right click on tree view, and "set tip", or "move object after another", its not listed there in the context menu. So then I activate a different body, and then activate the same body, and then those two options appear again.
I can confirm. Switching back to PartDesign helps as well, as does toggling active state off and on.

I have seen this before and I'm afraid it can happen with other workbenches as well - thanks for the find!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:45 pm
run_the_race wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:23 pm ... those two options appear again.

So what happens when I toggle the active body twice, is it goes back to Part Design WB, and then I can see the context items. However, when the Sheetmetal WB is active I can't see these context menu items.
Any chance you can make a screen cast showing this?
Sure:
saveas2.gif
saveas2.gif (729.98 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:36 pm I have seen this before and I'm afraid it can happen with other workbenches as well - thanks for the find!
Hmm I can swear I had other artifacts affecting me regarding Body vs tree vs updating vs order of stuff...

Maybe create a separate topic on this odd behaviour and ask people to report the odd behaviour there?
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

Is there a way to add relief slots (as shown in green below)?

I could add them after its been flattened, but Im concerned if I make changes, then flatten it again, I may forget to add the relief slots again.
slot.png
slot.png (14.42 KiB) Viewed 1863 times