Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Postby drmacro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Any idea what this means when attempting unfold:

Code: Select all

exception at line 2838("local variable 'nodeFace' referenced before assignment",)
("local variable 'nodeFace' referenced before assignment",)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 2838, in accept
    s, foldComp, norm, thename, err_cd, fSel, obN  = getUnfold(k_factor_lookup)
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 2168, in getUnfold
    TheTree.Bend_analysis(f_number, None) # traverses the shape and builds the tree-structure
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1315, in Bend_analysis
    t_node = self.make_new_face_node(face_idx, parent_node, parent_edge, wires_edge_lists)
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 1276, in make_new_face_node
    self.get_node_faces(newNode, wires_e_lists)
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 564, in get_node_faces
    if not self.is_sheet_edge_face(theEdge, theNode):
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 617, in is_sheet_edge_face
    self.divideEdgeFace(i, ise_edge, F_vert, tree_node)
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 715, in divideEdgeFace
    nFace = self.cutEdgeFace(1, fIdx, ise_edge, tree_node)
  File "/home/mac/.FreeCAD/Mod/sheetmetal/SheetMetalUnfolder.py", line 861, in cutEdgeFace
    return nodeFace #, residueFace
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'nodeFace' referenced before assignment
Sheetmetal WB 0.2.32

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.5
Qt version: 5.12.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
mocowania_fj_spaw.FCStd
(92.09 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Could use some sheet metal expertise in responding to a post in Announcements & Features. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p373031

Thanks,
wf
papyblaise

Postby papyblaise » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 pm

The probleme comme from the hole between the L and extend
Do "refine" before drill the hole
Attachments
unfold-2.PNG
unfold-2.PNG (27.89 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:04 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm
KenSimmons wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Hi there, new to FreeCAD. I have used TurboCAD in the past. My interest is in aircraft sheet metal work. Over the past 5-6 years TurboCAD has been improving with Bend / Unbend tools. But is still limited in data inputs. I noticed that FreeCAD sheet metal workbench has K factors. I would like to be able to add "rivet location" symbols to prints. Such as the NAS523 symbol. There are four quadrants, each quadrant will have a different code letter or code number. I believe Blocks allow for data inputs and symbols are fixed. How are they different from Balloons. With sheet metal work you deal with layout patterns, setbacks, Bend Allowances, Bend radius's, Rivet Edge Distances, Rivet Transverse Pitch distances.
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. Full disclosure: I don't know much about the sheet metal work bench and I had never heard of the NAS523 symbol until I read this note. So thanks for expanding my horizons.

I see a couple of problems with using the existing Balloon feature as NAS523 symbol. Balloons don't do multiple lines easily and a Balloon only has one leader.

I've posted a request for input to the sheet metal folks here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 49#p373049
Here are the specifics of the thread that @wandererfan was referring to.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:34 pm

Feature Request - STEP auto-unfolder (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43796)
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
hl037

Postby hl037 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Hello,
I have struggle to understand the "radius" parameter of the "Create a sheetmetal wall from a sketch" feature, as explained in : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 56#p374956
(it was suggested to me to link it here)
fc_tofu

Postby fc_tofu » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:05 pm

Dear shai, I just tried you Sheet Metal WB a little, very easy to use, thank you.

I'm a little curious, can this workbench be used in wire bending design and paper box design ?

I'm not expertise, just do some steel wire bending and paper box for fun at leisure time.

To be specific, wire bending has always a circle profile, paper box have some 180 degree bending.
papyblaise

Postby papyblaise » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Wire or pipe square or circulaire don't works
sheet of paper (or metal) bended at 180° works whith condition : never use R less 0.01mm
fc_tofu

Postby fc_tofu » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 am

papyblaise wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 pm
Wire or pipe square or circulaire don't works
sheet of paper (or metal) bended at 180° works whith condition : never use R less 0.01mm
Thank you, mr. saise.

I have very minor proposals about UI.
Could the toolbar name and context name use a better name, such as "Sheet Metal", instead of current "My Commands"? The current one is confusing in "user.cfg" file.
And the version number following workbench menutext looks weird, I guess it's there just for the sake of a beta verison?
fsc_2020-03-09_185435.jpg
fsc_2020-03-09_185435.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:14 pm

fc_tofu wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 am

I have very minor proposals about UI.
Could the toolbar name and context name use a better name, such as "Sheet Metal", instead of current "My Commands"? The current one is confusing in "user.cfg" file.
Where do you see 'My Commands' in user.cfg ?
fc_tofu wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:11 am
And the version number following workbench menutext looks weird, I guess it's there just for the sake of a beta verison?
The version number is there because we haven't figured out https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons/issues/105