System requirements

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quick61
Veteran

Re: System requirements

Post by quick61 »

Robavh wrote:To Mark

I was certainly not complaining about the Forum. I wouldn't dare ;) It's about bolt threads end nut threads.
There is no possibility to force FreeCad to use both cores?

As I wrote to Ektus, Forum refuses the size of my file which is 1466 kb. I tried a private message to you, but then Forum refuses the FCSTD extension.

Thanks.

To everybody:
I work most of the time in Parts Design Workbench and there it happens that every edit (even not an edit in the threads) causes FreeCad to "reconstruct" the whole model.
It happens also in the Part Workbench when I do some Boolean operation on eg cylinders, but that takes less time in my opinion.

Well, I got my design. I am happy in the end.

Thanks.
Rob
Ah, now I know what kind of thread your talking about. Funny thing is, that type of thread never entered my mind. :oops:

That part of it, (constructing the booleans used in the thread) would actually be on OCE, and while some of it is multithreaded, not all of it is and your old 0.14 version that was using OCC version: 6.5.1 was not compiled with multithreading. The new one is (I think) but OCE only has a few things that are actually operated with it. Maybe more will be added in the future, and we can only hope.

The simple answer is what ektus pointed out, threads are not usually modeled unless the thread is needed for some external purpose. Like 3D printing, worm gear and wheel set, etc..

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Robavh wrote:There is no possibility to force FreeCad to use both cores?
For meshing operations yes.
For boolean operations no (but hopefully soon at least partially yes).

But i am guessing you would like to have threads on bolts and nuts only for visual representation? If yes just make bolts and nuts without them for now and it will work fast.
Robavh

Post by Robavh »

Thanks Ektus for the info.

Unfortunately I need both threads for 3D printing, so I guess I have to deal with it.

Regards,
Rob
Robavh

Post by Robavh »

Thanks Mark,

I am a mechanical engineer, so threads in my world are only bolts and nuts :roll: haha.

Regards,
Rob
Robavh

Post by Robavh »

Thanks Triplus,

As you can read in other replies I use the thread for 3D printing. But from now I make my model without thread until the last moment. It saves mea lot of time.

Your explanantion about mesh and so on is to much for me: I am just an simple modeler (=end-user). I am already glad when I get FreeCad to do what I want :|

Regards,
Rob