Exploded view drawing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lemonbug

Exploded view drawing

Post by lemonbug »

Hi-

I saw another thread asking about an exploded view drawing but I wasn't really able to follow it.
I have been playing with the drawing WB and have been able to place a few object which is cool, but I didn't
know if there was a way to just put all the pieces of my model on there in an exploded view.

Also, I attached a screen shot of an issue I am having. I can't find the thread were someone helped me work around
clearing the 3d view from the screen on my Mac.

Thanks-l
Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 7.46.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 7.46.37 PM.png (88.31 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
quick61
Veteran

Re: Exploded view drawing

Post by quick61 »

Explode your model in the 3D, select then all and use Part > Make compound. Now place the compound into the drawing.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have to live with the MAC specific behaviour for a while, see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10481#p84353.
Last edited by chrisb on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Maavhamt

Post by Maavhamt »

Hi,

I've tried the "Explode Group" function in the OpenSCAD WB. It undoes the fusion but leaves the parts in the same place, it doesn't move them apart as in the usual exploded view diagram. How do I move the parts apart, do I have to do this manually? A lot of work if I do.

Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Python version: 2.7.8
Maavhamt
[/size]
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Maavhamt wrote:Hi,

I've tried the "Explode Group" function in the OpenSCAD WB. It undoes the fusion but leaves the parts in the same place, it doesn't move them apart as in the usual exploded view diagram. How do I move the parts apart, do I have to do this manually? A lot of work if I do.

Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Python version: 2.7.8
Usually exploded part and exploded view are two very different things. Yes, for now you will need to move the parts manually. I seem to remember that someone was working on a macro that would do what you want but I don't think it went anywhere. Its really not all that hard to position the parts. One tiP, make a copy of the document from your file browser of command line and move it to another directory, so if you really screw something up and end up writing to disk, you have a good copy somewhere else. I have found the Draft Move tool is very handy for setting up an exploded view, along with snap constraints.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
lemonbug

Post by lemonbug »

thanks everyone
revolt_randy

Post by revolt_randy »

Hi all,

Was reading through this wanting to make an exploded view of an object that consists of several parts created using the part design WB. The parts were created from several sketches, padding & pockets. When trying to move the parts with the Draft - move tool I get the message that the position is read only. If I clone the parts in the Part WB, then I can move the clones. Is this the only way to move parts, create a clone and move it?

Thanks,
Randy
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

revolt_randy wrote:Hi all,

Was reading through this wanting to make an exploded view of an object that consists of several parts created using the part design WB. The parts were created from several sketches, padding & pockets. When trying to move the parts with the Draft - move tool I get the message that the position is read only. If I clone the parts in the Part WB, then I can move the clones. Is this the only way to move parts, create a clone and move it?

Thanks,
Randy
All PartDesign solids can only be placed via the placement of the first sketch from which they are made.

This will all be "fixed" when Assembly arrives in master.

So for now you have to either use that first sketch,
or
create a Part WB "simple copy" (which is a new independent solid not linked to the original hence will not update with any changes to the original)
or
Draft WB "Clone" which creates a new solid but linked to the original so will update with any changes. A Draft Clone has independent placement and can even be scaled.

If your model is somewhat complex FreeCAD may slow to a crawl with too many Draft Clones where as Part Simple Copies are not linked so are better with complex models...etc.

Jim