Trouble with diameters & radii

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Maavhamt

Trouble with diameters & radii

Postby Maavhamt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:50 am

Dear All,

I am struggling to get diameters to look tidy. In Draft WB using the Dimension tool and Alt I can get a diameter of a circle, then in the Property box I can edit the attributes and move the dim line out from the circle so it looks tidy (please see Diameter 1). But then if go back into the Property box and change anything it goes skewed (Diameter 2). I don’t even know if I went back into the box, it may have done that itself. The only way I can find to correct it is to delete the dimension and start again. Keeping saving it doesn’t seem to make any difference.
Also, with radii, when I try to move the number using the Property box, View tab, Text Position XYZ coordinates to make it look a bit tidier it disappears completely and I can only get the text back by resetting the XYZ back to 0,0,0.
Are these things features of FreeCAD or is there a way round it? Is it possible to change the sense of the numbers so they are not upside down?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Diameter 1.PNG
Diameter 1.PNG (792 Bytes) Viewed 1160 times
Radius.PNG
Radius.PNG (712 Bytes) Viewed 1160 times
Diameter 2.PNG
Diameter 2.PNG (2.12 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Maavhamt
[/size]
mk2

Re: Trouble with diameters & radii

Postby mk2 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:32 am

Hello,

i think it's better to use the DrawingWB and the DrawingDimensioningWB from hamish

https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning

If you want to make a drawing with dimensions on it on a "paper".

Kind Regards
Maavhamt

Postby Maavhamt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 pm

OK thanks that's a great WB. The video tutorial is good too, although I didn't quite follow all the Chinese!
Maavhamt
[/size]
Maavhamt

Postby Maavhamt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:12 pm

The Drawing Dimension WB is a real stop forwards, but is there a way of editing dimension lines once they're made? I need to move an X dimension line up and down in the Y direction. Easy when you're making it but once it's done I can't find a way of changing it.

Maavhamt
[/size]
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Maavhamt wrote:The Drawing Dimension WB is a real stop forwards, but is there a way of editing dimension lines once they're made? I need to move an X dimension line up and down in the Y direction. Easy when you're making it but once it's done I can't find a way of changing it.

Probably it is faster to just redo it.

P.S. And for any special post-processing purposes you can export the drawing as SVG image and use Inkscape.
Maavhamt

Postby Maavhamt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:24 pm

OK thanks. Haven't mastered Inkscape yet, that's next on the agenda!
Maavhamt
[/size]
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello Maavhamt,

It seems you have got caught by the nasty autolink on sourceforge that downloads the 32 bit version of FreeCAD even if you have an X64 system.

You can find the x64 version here if your interested.
FreeCAD 0.15.4761 Release Installers
Maavhamt

Postby Maavhamt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:52 pm

OK thanks for spotting that.
Maavhamt
[/size]
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Maavhamt wrote:I am struggling to get diameters to look tidy. In Draft WB using the Dimension tool and Alt I can get a diameter of a circle, then in the Property box I can edit the attributes and move the dim line out from the circle so it looks tidy (please see Diameter 1). But then if go back into the Property box and change anything it goes skewed (Diameter 2). I don’t even know if I went back into the box, it may have done that itself. The only way I can find to correct it is to delete the dimension and start again. Keeping saving it doesn’t seem to make any difference.
You could add extension lines manually for now if default length isn't appropriate in some situations and add dimension between the lines ends. That enables you to draft just about any dimension. Or to add dimension first and position it on the correct location and after draft everything else like you see it fit. It might sound like a lot of hassle to do but using workbench like Draft WB and combination of all snap modes, modification tools, setting working plane, using modifier keys and X,Y,Z keys to constraint movement... will give you good 3D orientation perception on the long run. And if you master this it will enable you to get fast work flow in drafting. You could probably avoid using Inkscape and could only focus on FreeCAD.
Are these things features of FreeCAD or is there a way round it? Is it possible to change the sense of the numbers so they are not upside down?
Yes actually there is but at creation time. When in diameter mode add few dimension and you will notice it depends of the rotation where the text will be made. Or when dimensioning a line try to snap to first end point and second end point and after do the same for the second dimension but snap to second end point first.
Also, with radii, when I try to move the number using the Property box, View tab, Text Position XYZ coordinates to make it look a bit tidier it disappears completely and I can only get the text back by resetting the XYZ back to 0,0,0.
The reason that happens is it uses global coordinates not relative coordinates. Therefore Yorik or somebody else could tell us if there is a way to input relative coordinates.

P.S. If not probably that is something that could be made into a feature request. Done: issue #0002190
Maavhamt

Postby Maavhamt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:27 am

OK thanks that all makes sense. Appreciate the advice.
Maavhamt
[/size]