Exporting to STL for 3D printing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gryffin13

Exporting to STL for 3D printing

Post by gryffin13 »

I am really struggling being able to print anything I design in freecad. The exported file does not match the design. It leaves out feature, typically cuts and I have no idea how to fix this. For example, this is what my model looks like. This is the STL when imported to print. I'm afraid there isn't a simple fix to this, but I'm hoping someone with more experience might be able to help me?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Exporting to STL for 3D printing

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD!

Regarding your question, please start by providing your "Help menu ...about FreeCAD data". How to do so is explained in the first topic in the Help forum see here

IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help

Jim
django013

Post by django013 »

Hi,

you have to take into account, that FreeCAD exports only selected parts.
So look at your object browser and select all parts, that make up your solid - selected parts show up in light green.
When your whole part is green, you probably have all relevant parts selected.
But be careful, not to select subparts too.

So for your cut, you'll find a "cut" entry in object browser, which has 2 subparts. "cut" should be selected, the subparts should not be selected.
Ctrl + mouseclick is your friend :)
gryffin13

Post by gryffin13 »

Django,
Thank you for the answer. I am not totally understanding what the important subparts are. But I did mess around with unselecting some parts and was able to get it. In the future I'll try to learn exactly what is happening, but I have my part. Thanks so much!

jmaustpc,
I figured there was already something, but truthfully, I found the forum very difficult to search/browse. I knew somebody knew the answer - and they did. I appreciate the help.

And sorry I took so long, sadly this is only something I can work on on the weekends and finally got back to it. Thanks again!