are there any tools to extrude only selected surface from a sketch?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jacker

are there any tools to extrude only selected surface from a sketch?

Postby jacker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi to all, are there any tools to extrude only selected surface from a sketch ? Like "inventor"?
Thank you.
Have a nice day :D
jmaustpc

Re: part design

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
jacker wrote:are there any tools to extrude only selected surface from a sketch ? Like "inventor"?
Are you wanting to do this with Python? Or do you mean a GUI tool?
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:46 pm

And a bit more explaining will be needed from your side. Therefore what exactly Inventor does that you would like to do in FreeCAD.
jacker

Postby jacker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:53 pm

jmaustpc wrote:Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
jacker wrote:are there any tools to extrude only selected surface from a sketch ? Like "inventor"?
Are you wanting to do this with Python? Or do you mean a GUI tool?[/quote

A GUI tool
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:02 pm

jacker wrote:A GUI tool
So the "Python scripting and Macros" would seem a strange place to ask about this, so I will move it to the "Help" forum.

Also please in the future use topic titles that describe or are relevant to your question, I have edited this time.

Also Please always post your "help about FreeCAD" data. How to do so is explained in the first topic of the Help forum, here IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help
jmaustpc

Re: are there any tools to extrude only selected surface from a sketch?

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:16 pm

I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, perhaps with more specific information we could help in some way.

In general terms the answer is no. There are no faces in a sketch, just edges/wires. You can select a face of a solid created from a sketch. You can use a Draft Workbench "face binder" and extrude that. You can also mount a new sketch to a planar face of a solid and then use external geometry, and then Pad that new sketch.
jacker

Postby jacker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:40 pm

jmaustpc wrote:
jacker wrote:A GUI tool
So the "Python scripting and Macros" would seem a strange place to ask about this, so I will move it to the "Help" forum.

Also please in the future use topic titles that describe or are relevant to your question, I have edited this time.

Also Please always post your "help about FreeCAD" data. How to do so is explained in the first topic of the Help forum, here IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help
I wrote it here because I thaught there was a macro for this problem. I answered wrong at the first question
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:55 pm

You didn't explain what exactly Inventor does therefore i can only assume. You can extrude the Sketch with Part Extrude. That enables you to create a shell or a solid compared to Pad feature where the result is a solid.
jacker

Postby jacker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:11 pm

jmaustpc wrote:I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, perhaps with more specific information we could help in some way.

In general terms the answer is no. There are no faces in a sketch, just edges/wires. You can select a face of a solid created from a sketch. You can use a Draft Workbench "face binder" and extrude that. You can also mount a new sketch to a planar face of a solid and then use external geometry, and then Pad that new sketch.
Here you are, from minute 8:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvN65uEkQOY
he chooses which surface to extrude
triplus

Postby triplus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:26 pm

jacker wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, perhaps with more specific information we could help in some way.

Here you are, from minute 8:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvN65uEkQOY
he chooses which surface to extrude
The way i understand it he chooses what part of the sketcher geometry should be extruded and this isn't all that much related to surfaces? Well you could do the same in FreeCAD by switching between sketcher and construction sketcher geometry manually. As for the tool that would do that instead of you. ATM there is no such tool available in FreeCAD.