3Dconnexion on Mac OS

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
legndlarry33

3Dconnexion on Mac OS

Postby legndlarry33 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:35 am

Apologies in advance

Just stumbled onto this site/software and it is awesome

Figuring it out, but would love to be able to use my spacenavigator to move around

Found the page below, but can't figure out if I need to "compile" the program to make it work, rather than just install it...? Is there any way to make it work without "building" the software?
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ut_devices

I installed the 3dconnexion software and the device works fine within the 3dconnexion software, but on the two "space pilot" tabs in FreeCAD I just see "no spacebar present"

Any help is very much appreciated
wmayer
Site Admin

Re: 3Dconnexion on Mac OS

Postby wmayer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:42 am

I installed the 3dconnexion software and the device works fine within the 3dconnexion software, but on the two "space pilot" tabs in FreeCAD I just see "no spacebar present"
So, this means the OSX version is built without space mouse support. However, in the code we have at least rudimentary support for this device but I am not sure how well this works.

Maybe one of the package maintainers for OSX could enable space mouse support and upload a new package?
legndlarry33

Postby legndlarry33 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reply

That would be awesome if someone could do that...?
brusk

Postby brusk » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 pm

legndlarry33 wrote:Apologies in advance

Just stumbled onto this site/software and it is awesome

Figuring it out, but would love to be able to use my spacenavigator to move around

Found the page below, but can't figure out if I need to "compile" the program to make it work, rather than just install it...? Is there any way to make it work without "building" the software?
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ut_devices

Any help is very much appreciated
Can you try the build downloadable at https://github.com/bblacey/FreeCAD-MacOS-CI/releases?

I had to move the app to /usr/local/ to be able to use Part Design.
legndlarry33

Postby legndlarry33 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:01 am

I trashed the version I had been running, downloaded the FreeCAD_osx-6094-d6920a0.zip but am having the same problem running that as well. "No Spaceball Present"... am I doing something wrong?
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:57 am

Can you try the build downloadable at https://github.com/bblacey/FreeCAD-MacOS-CI/releases?
Is there a way to see which cmake switches were used to build the binaries?
blacey

Postby blacey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:17 pm

wmayer wrote:
Is there a way to see which cmake switches were used to build the binaries?
Mac OS X build 0.16_pre-19fd2c3 includes ian's 3DConnexion changes in commit eb5ec62c and the here is the TRAVIS build log

Would be great to get confirmation if it works or not and/or if you see any other problems with the build so we can tighten it down...

Cheers,
Bruce
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Mac OS X build 0.16_pre-19fd2c3 includes ian's 3DConnexion changes in commit eb5ec62c and the here is the TRAVIS build log
But this doesn't answer the question if 3d mouse support is enabled or not. For Windows and OSX there is a cmake switch "FREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION" that must be set. On Windows this is on by default but on OSX it depends.

Luckily, I now remember how to see if a build supports 3d mouse: go to Help > About FreeCAD and you should see a button "License" there.
Clicking on it should show a second dialog with this content:
3D Mouse Support:
Development tools and related technology provided under license from 3Dconnexion.
(c) 1992 - 2012 3Dconnexion. All rights reserved
If you can see this message then the 3d mouse support is activated and if you can't then it's not activated.
legndlarry33

Postby legndlarry33 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:57 pm

So I don't see an "About FreeCAD" in the Help menu, but I do see it under "FreeCAD" menu... unfortunately what I see there does not include a license button to get to that second dialog (see attached)...?
Attachments
about.tiff
about.tiff (252.63 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:40 pm

So, this means the OSX build doesn't have enabled 3d mouse support.