Polar Pattern around cylinder/ring

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mafer78

Polar Pattern around cylinder/ring

Post by mafer78 »

Hello Experts,
I've need to do a polar pattern of one part on Cylinder and/or Ring because my goal is to create a number of holes around my cylinder/ring using the polar function.

Could someone help me with a "how to" and/or little bit steps description?

Sorry but I follow a lot of tutorial without success, what I try to achieve is put a circle around a cylinder/ring but in a specific place.
I try with array function setting polar parameter but without success, after I try to use the path array function of WB draft but also here I'm not able to obtain the goal.

I've attached some image for explain what I mean.
//mafer
Attachments
polar.JPG
polar.JPG (49.7 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
mafer78

Re: Polar Pattern around cylinder/ring

Post by mafer78 »

No one can help me on this issue?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
use Draft Array and Part Cut to achieve what you want.
EDIT: sorry, irrelevant answer. Re-read your question....
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

So. If I got it correct, you want a polar pattern of holes that match up with teeth, but you want to have only 7 holes, that is, not for every teeth.

I can suggest to make a polar array of cylinders for all teeth, and then Part Cut the array with a specially crafted solid, to remove the cylinders where n holes are needed. Then, cut the holes.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

It looks like you are about to cut a number of threaded holes... Not good idea :|
tanderson69 wrote:IMHO here are the first 5 rules of making threads.

rule 1: Make sure you really need threads on your model. Not! "it would be nice"
rule 2: see rule 1.
rule 3: see rule 2.
rule 4: see rule 3.
rule 5: see rule 4.

if you are still here, read the rest of this forum thread. ;)
quoted from here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12593
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

mafer78 wrote:Could someone help me with a "how to" and/or little bit steps description?
DeepSOIC wrote:So. If I got it correct, you want a polar pattern of holes that match up with teeth, but you want to have only 7 holes, that is, not for every teeth.

I can suggest to make a polar array of cylinders for all teeth, and then Part Cut the array with a specially crafted solid, to remove the cylinders where n holes are needed. Then, cut the holes.
If I understand the question correctly, you want a Draft Polar Array of a Part Cylinder .... but the key point is you want the polar array to only go less than half way around one revolution. So you have 7 holes from cylinders going from 0 degrees to something like 160, rather than spreading them evenly from 0 to 360 degrees, right?

so you don't want this

draftpolararray360.jpeg
draftpolararray360.jpeg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 3022 times

but you do want something more like this ...

draftpolararray160.jpeg
draftpolararray160.jpeg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 3022 times

you will be pleased to know that the answer is very simple....Draft Array has many properties one of these is "Angle" which controls exactly what you are wanting, if I understand you correctly.

To see what I have done in the above pictures I have attached the file.....basically create a default Part WB Cylinder, click Draft Array, the change the Draft Array properties listed below

Array type...toggle to polar
Centre of the Polar Array e.g with a default Part Cylinder set X to 20mm
Number Polar ...set to 7 or whatever ...the default is only 1
Angle...set from default 360 to whatever

Once you have the Array correct, then Use a Part Cut to create the holes in your model.

Jim
Attachments
draftarray160.fcstd
(13.63 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
mafer78

Post by mafer78 »

many thanks for your feedback, I want to cover 360° of my cylinder, sorry in the image is been draft briefly , the problem is focused on the position of holes that not match the position that I want (blue line in my image).

//mafer
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Then, you either got the number of teeth wrong, or you have wrong polar array center position.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

mafer78 wrote:many thanks for your feedback, I want to cover 360° of my cylinder, sorry in the image is been draft briefly , the problem is focused on the position of holes that not match the position that I want (blue line in my image).

//mafer
It looks to me like your first cylinder is not located at exactly the centre of the gear groove, hence neither are the other holes when you create a Draft Array. If so, you could relocate the first hole correctly or rotate the Draft Array by a few degrees in the appropriate plane since you can adjust the placement and orientation of a Draft Array independently from the original item.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

DeepSOIC wrote:Then, you either got the number of teeth wrong, or you have wrong polar array center position.
Or the wrong start angular location?