Can I use multiple Drawing pages?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Can I use multiple Drawing pages?

Post by triplus »

va3ttn wrote:
triplus wrote:inserting multiple drawing templates with the same template name
Is this about creating pages, or about modifying the pull-down list "A3"?
Actually it is about a known bug. FreeCAD will let you insert as much drawing templates as you want with the same name. And you can easily insert drawing views, spreadsheets, dimensions... But after you are done and you will reopen the file and after the first recompute will happen everything will fall apart and you will be left to salvage the work manually.

Therefore for now rather stick to one drawing template with the same name for each .fcstd file.
JLB85FR

Post by JLB85FR »

Hello,
I think that there is still a bug in drawing template management, when you add a new drawing page, the sheet template (for instance A4 landscape) is associated to the drawing, but takes a new name since one already exists, and when you reopen the design, it searches for that name as template, which does not exists.

example:
- a page exists made from template A4_Lanscape.svg.
- create a new page from the same template. Freecad creates a new page, with result file named A4_Landscape1.svg
- save the design.
- reopen it
- all seems ok, but the template name asscociated with the page is A4_Landscape1.svg
- execute 'recompute macro'
- then an error appears on the new drawing page (just a tooltip with 'Error', but it really is 'A4_landscape1.svg file not found' or something like this).
- why not using the initial template name ?

workaround: to avoid this: copy as many as needed (count of same pages) A4_Lanscape.svg and rename them A4_LandscapeX.svg... X starting at 1 and increasing.
Please let us know if we can create a new bug item....

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6476 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 28b6c825553dc462a96a3d138374b8b55b6e4cf6
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes this is still true. Only one drawing template with the same name is supported ATM.

P.S. And better to use default set as support for custom ones has other issues.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

JLB85FR wrote:Hello,
I think that there is still a bug in drawing template management, when you
Hi, there are various limitations/bugs in Drawing WB. There is a new Drawing workbench that is expect to eventually replace the current one, it is expected to arrive in master soon after 0.16 is released. At least for now it is called "tech Drawing" to differentiate it from Drawing WB so that both can be run in the same FreeCAD instance.

JLB85FR wrote:OS: Windows XP
If you are really using WinXP on an Internet connected machine....that is somewhere between very unwise and utterly irresponsible. MS dropped support a while ago so you get no security updates. If you don't want to pay for a new version of Windows then just install a Linux distro, if you are new to Linux it is best to stick with Ubuntu, or one of its derivatives, my preference is Kubuntu because it is Ubuntu except with KDE for the desktop environment. You can easily have both as Linux will install along side Win so that if you ever have to you can always boot into windows, you will likely find your hardware, which must be old, will run much faster on Linux and you will likely wonder how you ever tolerated Win for so long once you get used to Linux. :)
JLB85FR

Post by JLB85FR »

Hi,
I'm happy to know for the future new version of drawing WB, thanks for the information.

Concerning the OS, I know I take some risks, but I have a firewall and an antivirus...
and many backups on separate hosts.

I also have a macbook pro, but I'm not familiar with the one button mouse and I prefer my PC to work with Freecad.
Maybe in a few days I'll try to upgrade to win7 64 bit on this machine, which is not a so bad one (intel core2 duo E8400 3GHz) but for the moment I have not money to invest in a new computer, but rather in the construction I have in project (garage and stables).
And not ready for linux too, I have developed a few applications in visual C++ under windows recently (a hive weighing controller for instance, and many small microcontroller applications on atmel arm7).
Maybe in the future....
Thanks for your advice anyway... ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

JLB85FR wrote:And not ready for linux too...
But Linux is ready for you. If you ever decide to try it out.