Need to replicate sketch down a cylinder(array problem)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ehrichweiss

Need to replicate sketch down a cylinder(array problem)

Post by ehrichweiss »

Since Merge Sketches doesn't work as I need it to, I'm trying to find a way to replicate a sketch down a cylinder. In my opinion there really should be some way to copy/paste while you're working on a sketch but that doesn't seem to be possible at the moment so I gotta do what I can with what I got.

So here are my criteria. I'm trying to replicate some hexagons down the side of a cylinder BUT I need to also be able to use the resultant sketch to Pad and then Polar Array those around the cylinder. I was hoping that I could just use Linear Array and then Polar(or vice versa) but neither of those seems to take anything other than a Pad as an input...so once I create either Array, the other won't accept it.. Draft Array doesn't seem to work with either of those either so that seems to be out.

If there's a way to use Python in the Sketch editor to create a hexagon, constrain the size, etc. (or if it's possible just to copy/paste the previous hex) and then move it a certain distance under the previous hexagon, I'm all ears. I haven't fully wrapped my brain around how to work with Position or Transform in Python so any tips there will be great.

That said, if there's a tool I've missed that can do this, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Here's what I'm using right now(I go back and forth between 0.15.4671 and the latest git)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6397 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6763d3a6e48b6f74d48bca593baa8773897c7220
Python version: 2.7.10
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.9.0
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Need to replicate sketch down a cylinder(array problem)

Post by jmaustpc »

ehrichweiss wrote:Version: 0.16.6397 (Git)
in 0.16 there is a rectangular array tool in sketcher, edit a sketch then look at the tool bar, or look in PartDesign menu....

Draft Arrays are normally applied to the solid created from a sketch, so create on solid then make an Array. Note that you can make an Draft Array of another Draft Array, hence you can create a Draft lineal Array of the solid down the cylinder and then a Draft Polar Array of the lineal Array around the cylinder, then use a Part Fuse of the last Array and the original cylinder.
ehrichweiss

Post by ehrichweiss »

jmaustpc wrote:
ehrichweiss wrote:Version: 0.16.6397 (Git)
in 0.16 there is a rectangular array tool in sketcher, edit a sketch then look at the tool bar, or look in PartDesign menu....
I SEE that tool but nothing I've done so far lets me use it, in Edit mode or otherwise that I can tell. Any tips on how to do so?
jmaustpc wrote:
Draft Arrays are normally applied to the solid created from a sketch, so create on solid then make an Array. Note that you can make an Draft Array of another Draft Array, hence you can create a Draft lineal Array of the solid down the cylinder and then a Draft Polar Array of the lineal Array around the cylinder, then use a Part Fuse of the last Array and the original cylinder.
I'll give that a shot.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ehrichweiss wrote: jmaustpc wrote:

ehrichweiss wrote:
Version: 0.16.6397 (Git)

I SEE that tool but nothing I've done so far lets me use it, in Edit mode or otherwise that I can tell. Any tips on how to do so?
create a new sketch, insert a hexagon in the sketch, box select (select all of the hexagon), then click on the array tool ...most of the rest should be self explanatory......except you have to click on one point in your hexagon then click on where you want the same point in the first copy hexagon....

there is an option "Clone" in the dialogue, you would most likely want to tick that so that all your other hexagons sizes are determined by the first hexagon and they all update if you later change the hexagon size.
ehrichweiss

Post by ehrichweiss »

jmaustpc wrote: create a new sketch, insert a hexagon in the sketch, box select (select all of the hexagon), then click on the array tool ...most of the rest should be self explanatory......except you have to click on one point in your hexagon then click on where you want the same point in the first copy hexagon....

there is an option "Clone" in the dialogue, you would most likely want to tick that so that all your other hexagons sizes are determined by the first hexagon and they all update if you later change the hexagon size.
That worked. Thanks.