(Draft WB) ft is refused but ' is accepted

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bronson

(Draft WB) ft is refused but ' is accepted

Post by bronson »

Just curious if this is the intended behavior...

- Start a wire
- Type "26 ft" for Global X

The moment you type the "f" in "ft", your point terminates. Or something happens, not sure exactly what.

If you type "26'" (26 tick), everything works just fine.

It took me a while to figure this out... I'd thought ft and ' would be synonyms. (personally I prefer using "ft" because ' is so ambiguous)

Can anyone explain what's going on here? Happy to report this as a bug if it is indeed a bug.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6510 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from 556ff4a)
Hash: 556ff4a4ac4f1dbfbdd9c6cc0e669a96f739465a
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Last edited by jmaustpc on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added (Draft WB) to topic title
bejant
Veteran

Re: ft is refused but ' is accepted

Post by bejant »

bronson wrote:The moment you type the "f" in "ft", your point terminates. Or something happens, not sure exactly what.

If you type "26'" (26 tick), everything works just fine.
Confirmed, I think you've found a bug. IMO "ft" and " ft" (that's a space before ft) should also work, just as "mm" and " mm" work.
jmaustpc
Veteran

(Draft WB) Re: ft is refused but ' is accepted

Post by jmaustpc »

yeah, I am seeing problems here to, but its not just in Draft Wire for example if I type/attempt to type "26 ft" (26 space ft) in
1) Part Cube Length parameter in combo view ...no problems ...which confirms ft is acceptable input still
2) Draft Wire first point x input field ..as soon as I press f the taskview closes, producing no Dwire
3) Draft Line first x input field ...as soon as I type f it does not close but the green tick goes red and stays red when I get to the t
4) Draft Line distance input field works perfectly (I mean if you click for the start point and then enter distance and angle)
5)Arch wall height Parameter in combo view work perfectly as does width
6) Draft Circle x input field in taskview creation dialogue does not accept ft but it does later in the combo view ....
7) Draft Radius input field in the creation task view dialogue works OK
8) Draft Rectangle creation task view dialogue will not accept ft in X (I also tries y and Z, they also did not work)

I have run out of time to test further, if Yorik does not see and fix this in a few hours then I'll create a bug ticket.

I wonder if this is related to Yorik's recent update to fix a different input field bug the other day?

Version: 0.16.6453 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: a3209e1aee00730d13359eeed595cb93b6b127f9
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
bronson

Re: (Draft WB) ft is refused but ' is accepted

Post by bronson »

I have a theory... The tooltip for the Finish button shows that its shortcut is "F". And that does appear to be what's happening.

The Close button has a shortcut "C" but I can type "cm" just fine. There's still something a little weird here.

Thanks jmaustpc. If you file a bug, link it here? I'll definitely be following it.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed, the "f" key is still stolen by the Draft GUI. Strange, I thought I had changed that already... I'll check that.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Thanks for the fix, Yorik.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:fixed in git commit c6af697
Unfortunately not completely :)

If I try entering data in the Draft Line initial creation taskview x or y input fields, "26 space ft" or "26 space yd" then I get this error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/user/Downloads/cad/freecad_master/build_master_Release_newgcc_blobfishOCE691_tbb_gl2ps_freeimg/Mod/Draft/DraftGui.py", line 1403, in checkSpecialChars
self.displayPoint()
File "/home/user/Downloads/cad/freecad_master/build_master_Release_newgcc_blobfishOCE691_tbb_gl2ps_freeimg/Mod/Draft/DraftGui.py", line 1490, in displayPoint
self.xValue.setText(displayExternal(dp.x,self.DECIMALS,'Length'))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'x'

also as soon as I type the f or y the whole field is highlighted, so I have to mouse click again to not over write the 26.

m, km , in, mi, all work OK but not yd or ft

by the way, I think someone might have posted this elsewhere on the forum at one time but if I create a DLine from two points entered into the initial creation taskview, I get a very small Y value added to the Y of the end point even thought it had been 0 in the taskview. I have now tried a few variations but even if I type 0 in the end point Y input box I still get a small value for Y in the DLIne end point. As you can see in the screen shot, the Dline endpoint Y value is not 0 even though I had typed 0 in the field in the initial creation taskview.
dlineyvalue.jpeg
dlineyvalue.jpeg (34.22 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Version: 0.16.6456 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 9e551e0fdb4321de57471d18a17449e4df0015a6
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev