Updated FreeCAD, can't edit sketch constraint values...from the context menu

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
revolt_randy

Updated FreeCAD, can't edit sketch constraint values...from the context menu

Postby revolt_randy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:06 am

Hi all,

I'm on an Ubuntu machine and I posted a thread the other day. When I added my FreeCAD info, I noticed I was using rev 5484 from 09/09/2015. So I decided to update Ubuntu and FreeCAD would update at the same time...

So after updating to a current version of FreeCAD, I find I cant edit sketcher constraints values from the file I was working on in the older version. Any constraint I select in the combo view, part design workbench, and right click on to change the value, the change value menu option is greyed out.

Found this out yesterday, 2 days after upgrading everything, so I upgraded again last night... still no luck with changing constraint values....

Has something changed in the past 6 months (last time I upgraded FreeCAD) that I am missing?

I almost feel stoopid at this point....

Randy
Last edited by jmaustpc on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added "..from the context menu" to the topic title to aid future reference
cox

Re: Updated FreeCAD, can't edit sketch constraint values

Postby cox » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:47 am

Hi Randy,

Please post your current FreeCAD and OS info, from the about page. There is nothing to go on here.

I am running close to the newest version and can not see any such problems, it could of cause have been introduced the last couple of days.

EDIT: Not posting this info on every question, is a source of grave frustration when trying to answer questions on this forum.

Are FreeCAD issuing error messages at any time during your problems?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6539 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: makepkg
Hash: e1e4be896531de86584e5574157d08ba342dfc07
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.9.1
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Also can you please post a file that demonstrates the issue and exact instructions on how to get the issue you describe?
revolt_randy wrote:So I decided to update Ubuntu and FreeCAD would update at the same time...
do you mean you upgrade to a newer version of the whole Ubuntu distro? I.e. from 12.04 to 14.04 or similar? If so your FreeCAD would likely be an old obsolete version from Ubuntu as the PPA would be disabled on upgrade.
revolt_randy wrote:Has something changed in the past 6 months (last time I upgraded FreeCAD) that I am missing?
I don't know what is wrong but there has been something like close to 1000 updates to FreeCAD master branch over that time. :)
revolt_randy

Postby revolt_randy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi all,
cox wrote:Please post your current FreeCAD and OS info, from the about page. There is nothing to go on here.
Can't believe I forgot to post that, was in a hurry....

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6597 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 3ca1ec2c28d26cd6aab5c79878d9a5e82583395c
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
jmaustpc wrote:Also can you please post a file that demonstrates the issue and exact instructions on how to get the issue you describe?
Attached a sample file. Only one part in the file made of several sketches. Cannot change value of any constraint in any sketch in that file.

As to updating, just updated 12.04 and FreeCAD. FreeCAD was set up to update from a different PPA, not thru ubuntu, but following advice on this forum as to how to add FreeCAD PPA to my system. Hope that makes sense, I'm not really a ubuntu user, but I'm trying it out.

Thanks for any help,
Randy
problem.FCStd
(73.09 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:14 pm

revolt_randy wrote: Attached a sample file. Only one part in the file made of several sketches. Cannot change value of any constraint in any sketch in that file.

all the ones I tried edited as expected. The file looks like it has a few problems, like the join tool rather than a Boolean fuse, but why not just map the second sketch to a face of the first solid and then not need to use a Fuse at all? You seem to have forked your model.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6604 (Git)
Build type: Release
Hash: 32760491a6df0186511a09967ec802fa0f5c7ff7
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
bejant

Postby bejant » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:04 pm

I could change a constraint in each of the four Sketches.
jmaustpc wrote:You seem to have forked your model.
Yes, you can delete "Y6_UAV_Motor_mount".

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6597 (Git)
Build type: None
Hash: 3ca1ec2c28d26cd6aab5c79878d9a5e82583395c
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:04 pm

What mouse navigation style are you using?

If you use Inventor navigation, this may be related: Sketcher Bug - Constraint edits in "Inventor style" causes problems
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:47 pm

NormandC wrote:What mouse navigation style are you using?

If you use Inventor navigation, this may be related: Sketcher Bug - Constraint edits in "Inventor style" causes problems
And Werner pushed a fix for this into master today.
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:21 pm

revolt_randy wrote: Cannot change value of any constraint in any sketch in that file.
This is very vague explanation. I can change your constraints.

I can interpret this:
1. "I double-click a constraint, but nothing happens"
OR
2. "I double-click a constraint. A dialog shows up, I edit the value, click OK, the dialog goes away, but the constraint still displays the old value and sketch doesn't change"
OR
3. "I double-click a constraint. A dialog shows up, I edit the value, click OK, the dialog goes away. The sketch is updated, but the model remains the same"
OR
.....many many other variations of the above three scenarios.
Please explain in more detail.
revolt_randy

Postby revolt_randy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks for the replies....
DeepSOIC wrote:This is very vague explanation. I can change your constraints.

I can interpret this:
1. "I double-click a constraint, but nothing happens"
OR
2. "I double-click a constraint. A dialog shows up, I edit the value, click OK, the dialog goes away, but the constraint still displays the old value and sketch doesn't change"
OR
3. "I double-click a constraint. A dialog shows up, I edit the value, click OK, the dialog goes away. The sketch is updated, but the model remains the same"
OR
.....many many other variations of the above three scenarios.
Please explain in more detail.
I admit that is vague, and something I would bring to someone's attention at other software forums I visit and help users with....

So here's my exact problem. Left click on a constraint in the 3d view to select the constraint, Then in Combo view, under constraints, I scroll till I find the constraint and right click on the constraint to bring up the menu. This is what I am presented with:
Screenshot11.png
Screenshot11.png (151.86 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
The 'Change value' menu option is greyed out, not allowing me to change the value in this way.

But, thanks to DeepSOIC, I've learned another way to change the constraints values and yes, that does work.

The nice thing about posting for help on this forum is that I always learn something additional, like this:
jmaustpc wrote:all the ones I tried edited as expected. The file looks like it has a few problems, like the join tool rather than a Boolean fuse, but why not just map the second sketch to a face of the first solid and then not need to use a Fuse at all?
Could someone explain the problem with my using the join tool rather than the boolean fuse? Why would the boolean fuse be better than the join tool in this case? Would these problems affect me exporting the part out into a .dxf file to send to a CNC machinist?
bejant wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:You seem to have forked your model.
Yes, you can delete "Y6_UAV_Motor_mount".
Actually 'Y6_UAV_Motor_mount' is just like 'Motor_mount_final' in that file, except it doesn't have any holes in it. This is because I want this part made without holes in it, I'll drill them myself.

As I said, I'm trying to get this part made for me. So if anyone could point me in the direction of how to get a proper file export for a CNC machine shop, that would really be helpful.

Thanks again,
Randy