.step, .dwg, .dxf export only 2D

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill-anderson

.step, .dwg, .dxf export only 2D

Post by bill-anderson »

Dear Reader,

Unfortunately, the export in the file format .step, .dwg, .dxf is only a flat disk, when I import it into AutoCAD, meanwhile it is all good in 3D in FreeCAD. Do you have any ideas what I am doing wrong
The goal is to preserve the 3D information and to open die file in AutoCAD.

Thank you for your help and with my best regards,
BA
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: .step, .dwg, .dxf export only 2D

Post by jmaustpc »

bill-anderson wrote:dwg, .dxf
these can only practically be 2d. DXF can only contain 3d solids in a closed up proprietary format, that only autocad can read, you can optionally add meshes for 3d solids but they are usually useless for CAD.

STEP should work, but there are different standards within step, FreeCAD supports two.

Also what version of FreeCAD are you talking about?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Bill,
bill-anderson wrote:Unfortunately, the export in the file format .step, .dwg, .dxf is only a flat disk, when I import it into AutoCAD, meanwhile it is all good in 3D in FreeCAD.
I was not aware that AutoCAD could import the STEP format. I thought it could only import *.SAT, which is the file extension for ACIS, the proprietary CAD kernel it uses (or more specifically a fork of it).

Here's one possible workaround: export your FreeCAD file as STEP or .brep, and download CAD Exchanger Free Evaluation Version. Open the file and export it to SAT.

You have not provided your FreeCAD info which would have told us your operating system, but since you're talking of AutoCAD I assume you use Windows.
bill.anderson

Post by bill.anderson »

I can import a .step file. I just can't change any dimension. I suspect that FreeCad doesn't support any parameterized import. Is that a true statement? If so that would mean that all one could do with the objects available from GrabCad would be useless to me, that I would have to recreate the artwork from scratch for anything I wanted to machine. Why then have an import function if all I can do with imported files is to look at them.
I have looked through the tutorials and looked on the forum, which is why I asked y'all for some guidance to point me in the right direction. If I can't import a file created in another CAD program and modify it in FreeCad then I'll have to go back to Fusion 360 where I can. I would rather use a Linux based program offline.

Bill Anderson
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

bill.anderson wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm I can import a .step file. I just can't change any dimension. I suspect that FreeCad doesn't support any parameterized import. Is that a true statement? If so that would mean that all one could do with the objects available from GrabCad would be useless to me, that I would have to recreate the artwork from scratch for anything I wanted to machine. Why then have an import function if all I can do with imported files is to look at them.
1) Modifying an existing STEP file is not the only use for a STEP 3d model... you may need to assemble more pieces together without having to change anything.
2) You can partially 'direct editing' also in FreeCAD using the latest defeaturing features.
3) Please note that files from Grabcad are not freely usable and cannot be modified without the author permission.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Many members here scan all the different forums, so no crossposting necessary https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 48#p291148.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Way to resurrect one's own topic, after 3 years! :D

bill.anderson wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm I can import a .step file. I just can't change any dimension. I suspect that FreeCad doesn't support any parameterized import. Is that a true statement?
The STEP specification is not parametric, so FreeCAD cannot import it as a parametric model. Each parametric CAD program has its own way of structuring its models that is incompatible with its competitors. I hear that commercial plug-ins exist that can reconstruct parametrics from an imported model, but I have never seen it in action. The commercial CAD program I use at work has a tool that's supposed to reconstruct the history of an imported model, but I've never succeeding in making it work. The majority of the time, when you export your model, all parametrics are lost.

bill.anderson wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 pm Why then have an import function if all I can do with imported files is to look at them.
Come on, you can work on an imported model that has no history. It may not be as easy as direct editing programs, but it can be done. It's just the same work flow as if you'd create the model from scratch.

How about telling us exactly what modifications you want to do on your imported model(s). As it is, your questions are too vague. Maybe even provide a model to work on.