Space mousse 3D on Mac

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PhilBali

Space mousse 3D on Mac

Post by PhilBali »

Hello all! I hope I am posting in the right section here.

I was trying to find an affordable solution for my 3D design which works on both Mac an PC and after a few months using Sketchup, I ended up to find FreeCAD which seems a way more appropriate for our designs.
I downloaded the very last version which is the 0.15 for Mac. I guess there is not so many mac user's here and according to what I read on the forum, not so many people care about the fruit company that much, which, I believe is sad. But anyway.. I guess I have to deal with that. I should be very grateful to at least have something working nicely and professional on Mac because except Sketchup, there is nothing much affordable for ac user's.
I am running the last version of OS X 10.11.4.
I have a 3D Connexion Space mousse. This mousse works great with Sketchup but it seems it is not supported by FreeCAD. I cannot use it so far.
Is anyone having this experience and is there a way to make it work? Because it is a very great tool to design in 3D and I would very pleased if someone could ever help me out on this topic.

Thank you by advance for your future reply.
r-frank
Veteran

Re: Space mousse 3D on Mac

Post by r-frank »

Hello Phil.

Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

Your version (0.15) is outdated and did not support (at least as far as i know) spacemouse.

Please go to the FreeCAD files page and download at least the 0.16 stable release (scroll down for "latest release".
You might even have a try with the latest development snapshot for mac 0.17.7405 (on the same page).

As you stated, at the moment there seem to be not so much users for FreeCAD on mac, so feedback for that platform is welcomed ...

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
PhilBali

Post by PhilBali »

Hello roland,

thank you for your reply. You were very right, the 0.15 was not the latest release as I thought. I download the 0.16 and the space mousse is supported, I am so happy!!!
Thank you very much.
I did not try the 0.17 yet but for now I will stick with the stable version and i will give regular feedback on what i will find out.
PhilBali

Post by PhilBali »

It seems up and down are inverted with zoom in and zoom out
Is there a way where I can assign custom settings on freeCAD to the moves of the space mousse?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Phil,

Welcome here.
PhilBali wrote:I guess there is not so many mac user's here and according to what I read on the forum, not so many people care about the fruit company that much
FreeCAD is now very well supported on OS X, it was not the case a few years ago.

I'm one of those don't care much about the fruit company, nor do I care much about the "openings covered by panes of glass" company. ;) (I did own a fruit computer ages ago!)

You may see a few of my crowd here for one reason: FreeCAD is open source, therefore it tends to attract people who believe in open source and who don't trust big commercial models. We started using open source software on proprietary operating systems, and at some point we made a switch to a full open source desktop. It's a philosophical stance. But don't let that stop you from joining us here, just consider it as ambient noise. ;)
PhilBali wrote:I did not try the 0.17 yet but for now I will stick with the stable version
The 0.17 development cycle just started, and it already brings quite disruptive changes in the work flow of PartDesign, along with who know how many bugs. So for production work you should steer clear of it and stay on 0.16. :)
PhilBali wrote:Is there a way where I can assign custom settings on freeCAD to the moves of the space mousse?
The settings can be reversed, at least on Linux and Windows. I assume it should be possible on OS X as well, support was recently added. Go to the Tools --> Customize menu. In the dialog, you will find a "Spaceball Motion" tab.

More info: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... up_FreeCAD
PhilBali

Post by PhilBali »

Thank you NormandC for your very detailed reply.

I did check the customization tabs, but it seems you can only adjust the sensitivity and reverse the way it moves, but you cannot assign another task (please correct me if i am wrong) like make it zoom in or out when you push the space ball forward on backwards. as on mine this move make the part goes up and down. And Up and Down on the space ball make the part zoom in and out! :lol:
PhilBali

Post by PhilBali »

A NormandC
J'ai répondu en anglais car on n'est pas sur le forum Français et je viens de voir que tu étais francophone. ;)
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

PhilBali wrote:Thank you NormandC for your very detailed reply.

I did check the customization tabs, but it seems you can only adjust the sensitivity and reverse the way it moves, but you cannot assign another task (please correct me if i am wrong) like make it zoom in or out when you push the space ball forward on backwards. as on mine this move make the part goes up and down. And Up and Down on the space ball make the part zoom in and out! :lol:
try checking the 'swap y/z' checkbox
PhilBali

Post by PhilBali »

Excellent, it works perfect now! thank you very much. You rule Tanderson!!!