FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cox

FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post by cox »

EDIT
GeneFC wrote:The discussion here is a running history of concerns and recommendations as version 0.17 was being developed. If you want the current recommendations for the release version of 0.17 the best place to look is the wiki. A lot of work went into updating the many pages in the wiki when 0.17 was released.

Essentially all of the surviving ideas in this topic have been captured in the wiki. The obsolete or incorrect ideas were discarded.

Starting this thread to collect and discuss Use-cases and Best practices when designing with Part Design Next.

PartDesign Next is the unofficial name of the new PartDesign workbench, which is a result of big changes to PartDesign workbench that happened in v0.17 development version of FreeCAD. The heroes responsible for bringing us a quantum leap ahead is Ickby, jrheinlaender, Fat-Zer, DeepsOIC and tanderson. Thank you guys :D

For the lifetime of pre-0.17 Part Design, a lot of questions have been asked in the forum on how to accomplish certain design features, and some of them has been answered with a round about way of doing it and a reference on how clean this would be done if Part Design Next could be used.

So here is a chance to showcase clean elegant ways of doing stuff, we have only been dreaming about :D

Some examples :
-Pocketing a hole in curved face of cylinder at accurate location angle.
---creating a hole in a pipe wall, Old Part Design way

-Referencing of mating features of two different parts with clearance, using ShapeBinder

-Pocket at an angle

-Corner of a cube

-Create Draft/Cutaway Across Half A Cylinder Face,
---Create Draft/Cutaway Across Half A Cylinder Face, Old Part Design way

-Groove on cylinder top

-Pad and Pocket directly from a face.

-Padding and pocketing curved surfaces. This is fun :D

-Loft and Sweep support for multi profile sketches

-Table - Parametric model with datum planes

-Discussion regarding multiple PartDesign LinearPatterns and linear dependency graph

-How to use datum geometry in 0.17, Discussion on how to avoid linking dependent geometry

-Part with multiple bodies - how to cross reference in between? and master sketch

-Select more than one feature for a transformation feature

I also would like to collect good and bad practices when designing with Part Design Next. This includes how to overcome special cases, inefficient design decisions, features that are not fully functioning but are being worked on or planed or other gotchas etc.

Gotchas:
-Fixed :If a sketch has two (or more) independent parts (e.g. two circles with no intersection), neither pad nor pocket works
-Interesting thread discussing mixing of Part Design features and Part tools in Part Design Next 0.17. Mostly considering Boolean operations
-

Is it possible:
-I want to create several "shapes" inside a body that does not intersect, is it possible?
-Attachment dialog now works with non-attachable objects :P Non-parametric
-[0.17 PDN] How to engrave a ShapeString in a PDN-Body
-

I will update this first post with descriptions and links to designs posted in this thread. If I find or people point out designs with descriptions in other parts of the forum or Internet i will link these here as well.

I hope the results of this will aid in making documentation of Part Design Next.

Useful links:
Release notes 0.17
Sandbox:Part_Design_Next
Updated PartDesign workflow
What's new in PartDesign Next
DeepSOIC user wiki page documenting atachment modes
PartDesign Bearingholder Tutorial I
PartDesign Bearingholder Tutorial II

Users Showcase: Designing a motor (with files)
Users Showcase: Furniture fittings1 (with files)
Last edited by cox on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
cox

Re: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post by cox »

cox wrote:Pocketing a hole in curved face of cylinder at accurate location angle.
1. Make cylinder
2. Make plane on one end of cylinder
3. Superplacement z axis hight where hole centre to enter cylinder.
4. Superplacement x axis formula Cylinder.Radius to fix plane pivot point on cylinder curved surface.
5. Superplacement rotate plane to choose entry angle of hole in cylinder.
6. Select plane and create sketch, sketch profile of hole.
Screenshot_20160423_074843.png
Screenshot_20160423_074843.png (79.7 KiB) Viewed 33133 times
Attachments
Part Design Next hole in cylinder.fcstd
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
cox

Post by cox »

Referencing of mating features of two different parts with clearance, using ShapeBinder

Not quite sure if this is the neatest way of doing this, so please provide alternate ways of doing this or similar.

Lid is dependant on bowl size and thickness, and preserves clearance.

One nice surprise while playing with this was that the Draft move with snaps worked quite well(tip: Take care of active body and selected object, it can get a bit confusing) . Makes me wish this was included in Part Design workbench.

Made this a while ago, so no step by step at the moment.
Screenshot_20160423_080522.png
Screenshot_20160423_080522.png (107.58 KiB) Viewed 33133 times
Attachments
jar and lid.fcstd
(34.78 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Awesome idea cox, thanks for creating this topic! :)
cox wrote:-Pocketing a hole in curved face of cylinder at accurate location angle.
This trumps my old convoluted way of creating a hole in a pipe wall. :)
cox

Post by cox »

NormandC wrote:Awesome idea cox, thanks for creating this topic! :)
Glad you liked it :D
f3nix

Post by f3nix »

Great! Waiting for more! :)

Cheers,
Mateusz
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

If you check my thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15442 i have an issue with the new part design.

I want to create several "shapes" inside a body that does not intersect, is it possible?

"HowTo Replicate: create a sphere then add a disc to a body with "additive part" dialog, set coordinate system placement to be far enough away from each other to not touch. i guess "additive part" uses boolean join and brakes if the objects do not intersect. But i do not know how to add an object with a coordinate system inside a body in any other way.. "

Have tried with "additive shape" dialog as well as "sketch + pad", it fails to render all shapes.
Another thing i noticed was that i did not get a new coordinate system to the new shape when i used sketch + pad.
cox

Post by cox »

fosselius wrote: I want to create several "shapes" inside a body that does not intersect, is it possible?
I have not managed to do what you ask, but I would be very interested to know the developers take on the issue.

Nice project :D

EDIT: You might have better luck in the PartDesign Next Developer thread.

EDIT2: I guess i could add a "Is it possible?" section to the top post
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

fosselius wrote:I want to create several "shapes" inside a body that does not intersect, is it possible?
See my reply in your topic.

Also read Updated PartDesign workflow.
cox

Post by cox »

NormandC wrote:
fosselius wrote:I want to create several "shapes" inside a body that does not intersect, is it possible?
See my reply in your topic.

Also read Updated PartDesign workflow.
Thanks NormandC, realy nice to reread the Updated PartDesign workflow., it made more sense now after trying it out a bit, than the last time I read it. Nice recap in fosselius thread as well :D