FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 pm Thank you very much for the tip concerning the tip! I must have completely missed it's introduction.
Yeah me too! I didn't at first understand what "Tip" was for either. :)
NormandC wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 pm This topic is in danger of becoming a total mess that has nothing to do anymore with its original goal with questions that should be in separate topics so they can be searched and found.
Hi Norm, yeah, as we discussed a while ago, this topic has long since bloated into almost uselessness, at least as far as being a concise, convenient read is concerned. At first when PDnext was new a topic here on the forum made a lot of sense, but now I think this would be better as a wiki page so it is easier to keep it concise and accurate.
Jim

By the way, we removed your favourite steer's (Kristoff Wally Norman Steve) eye patch a few weeks back, we cured him completely! :) Pinkeye can permanently blind a cow if not treated quickly enough but we were quick enough so he is completely cured. Pulling the last bit of the patch off gave him a "wax job" but cows are tough and he didn't care at all, he just stood there while one of my kids patted his nose and gave him some bread. :)
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm Hi Norm, yeah, as we discussed a while ago, this topic has long since bloated into almost uselessness, at least as far as being a concise, convenient read is concerned. At first when PDnext was new a topic here on the forum made a lot of sense, but now I think this would be better as a wiki page so it is easier to keep it concise and accurate.
Jim
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sandbox ... esign_Next Is there for this. :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi guys,
chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 pm Thank you very much for the tip concerning the tip! I must have completely missed it's introduction.
jmaustpc wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm Yeah me too! I didn't at first understand what "Tip" was for either. :)
I know that ickby mentioned the tip at some point, but it's not in the first post's useful links and I don't remember if he gave details about it anywhere. The idea of the "tip" is that it's the feature that is exposed outside the body. It's a common feature in parametric CAD, although I hadn't seen it called that way. Since I have experience with other parametric CAD software I quickly realized what it was.

In Solid Edge which I use daily (rather a very old version), it's done with a right-click like in FreeCAD, only it's called simply "Go to" rather than "Set tip". When doing that, a counter-clockwise circling arrow icon is added in the tree besides all the elements (sketches and features) below the tip, this is a clear indicator of where the tip is. I think adding a similar visual indicator in FreeCAD would be very useful and potentially avoid confusion and mistakes.

In SolidWorks, there is a very nifty "rollback bar" in SW's version of the Model tree. You drag it from the bottom to some point in the Body tree, and this sets the tip. Below the rollback bar, the features are greyed out to indicate they're inactive. This video displays its use: https://youtu.be/lD4hcLBS3bM

I think a rollback bar would not work well in FreeCAD because you can have more than one body in a document, which means you would need one rollback bar for each body... In SW as in SE, there are separate file extensions for a part, an assembly or a drawing, so in a part document there is only a single body tree.
jmaustpc wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm At first when PDnext was new a topic here on the forum made a lot of sense, but now I think this would be better as a wiki page so it is easier to keep it concise and accurate.
renatorivo wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 pm https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sandbox ... esign_Next Is there for this. :)
Hello Renato, your sandbox page has been very useful over the past 15 months since PDN was merged to master. But there are more and more people starting to test and use the 0.17-dev builds, and I think we're at a point now that we should think about extracting the content from the Sandbox page and start creating separate page tools, etc.

@Jim
Glad to know that Kristoff Wally Norman Steve is alive, well and kicking! :D
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:52 pm jmaustpc wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2017, 00:19
At first when PDnext was new a topic here on the forum made a lot of sense, but now I think this would be better as a wiki page so it is easier to keep it concise and accurate.

renatorivo wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2017, 07:19
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sandbox ... esign_Next Is there for this. :)

Hello Renato, your sandbox page has been very useful over the past 15 months since PDN was merged to master. But there are more and more people starting to test and use the 0.17-dev builds, and I think we're at a point now that we should think about extracting the content from the Sandbox page and start creating separate page tools, etc.
I found that sandbox page by searching the wiki, before I remembered that Norm had posted a link to it in his first post in this topic. :)

I agree that we need to start moving this into the wiki properly. Where there is a clash with 0.16, I think we should put up some big red warning saying something like "this has changed significantly in FreeCAD 0.17 and beyond, see below" and then write up something below all the existing 0.16 stuff. But some of it, like tip and body will presumably be easier as they will get their own new page.

If you guys start on this, I'll try to help out.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Since this concerns the wiki, continue in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15270 (PartDesign Next in wiki)
Renato
mrtaotao789

Post by mrtaotao789 »

cox wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 6:32 pm Groove on cylinder top

I guess one would either use support geometry or fuse one cylinder and a part:Design:Revolve in 0.16 PartDesign.

Parametric: You can change all cylinder properties, The groove is centred on the slope with a 1/4 slope length radius.

While playing with this I lost visibility of the construction plane, it would not toggle back to visible until i restarted FreeCAD.

I also discovered som strange behaviour while editing the sketch, While being in edit mode the auto-constraints suggested while drawing a horizontal line was vertical and visa versa. This switch also applied to manual constraints I made. If I applied a vertical constraint it became horizontal.

Will monitor for this behaviour and see if I can replicate.
Screenshot_20160501_202721.png
i can not create datumPlane below cylinder,
after i created datum plane.. it move to below BodyOrigin
this technics is very interseting..!!

do you have short clip to make it ?
thank you very much.
^__^
JV_3D

Post by JV_3D »

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct thread but searching on Google pointed me this thread.

I am using and enjoying FreeCAD 0.17 I mostly use Part workbench and sometimes I need some operations that live in the Part Design workbench and I can not use them since it does not recognize a body made in the Part workbench. FreeCAD 0.16 has not this issue since anything form Part can be modified with Part Design tools, for example making fillets in some edges

Is there anything new we need to perform to achieve this goal?

Thank you for reading
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you want to get acquainted with Part Design Next you should read from the beginning of this thread.

Many of the tools which you know from Part Workbench are now available within PartDesign, like sweep and loft, so you rather design your models in Part Design only. If it is just fillets it is vice versa: they are available in Part Workbench and you don't need Part Design (where they are available as well).

If you tell us more details about the goal you want to achieve you sure will get more detailed advice.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JV_3D

Post by JV_3D »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 am If you want to get acquainted with Part Design Next you should read from the beginning of this thread.

Many of the tools which you know from Part Workbench are now available within PartDesign, like sweep and loft, so you rather design your models in Part Design only. If it is just fillets it is vice versa: they are available in Part Workbench and you don't need Part Design (where they are available as well).

If you tell us more details about the goal you want to achieve you sure will get more detailed advice.
OK, thank you so much for answering. I think it is just kind of weird since I was accustomed that one can make something in Part and then modified with Part Design (in v0.16) and it was not possible with 0.17. I will read the forum to get a broad idea about the option. And yes, in this case it was just to add some fillets and I used the option in Part workbench as you pointed out.
JV_3D

Post by JV_3D »

Hello forum
Is there a way to import .svg sketch to work with this workbench? To create solid I am able to use it in Part workbench but not in PDN workbench :(

Thank you in advance