Keyboard:offset and continue command

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sergio

Keyboard:offset and continue command

Post by Sergio »

Hello,I'm trying to get into draft workbench for architectural purposes; here is my system situation, even if I guess this is not a bug but something I'm missing:
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6704 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 0c449d7e8f9b2b1fb93e3f8d1865e2f59d7ed253
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

I have two problems, both related to keyboard commands: I cannot get to use the "OS" shortcut to active offset command and I can't use the "T" shortcut to set the "continue" option to on. I verified the shortcuts in the customize menu and offset's shortcut is set to "OS".
Thank you for any help
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Keyboard:offset and continue command

Post by NormandC »

Hello Sergio,

They're not working for me either. The Draft command shortcuts don't seem to be very reliable. some work, others don't. I never use keyboard shortcuts which is why I didn't notice before.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
murdic

Post by murdic »

Workbench related? I've noticed that w,p workplane works in draft workbench but not complete.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

I experimented a bit and i noticed that the shortcut to offset does not work if i set it to "OS" or "OF" and so on while it works fine if i set it to "LR" (lr has no meaning, I was just trying anything). May this depend on the fact that "O", the first letter in the shortcut, is already taken for "Ortographic view"?

This is not freecad related but I take advantage of English speaking forums: is "depend on the fact that..." a correct syntax?

TY
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed there are a couple of problems with Draft shortcuts, and indeed one of them is the built-ins shortcuts such as O or P that "steal" the shortcut. There are also a couple of others that I changed recently and still not updated the docs...

Basically I was thinking of redefining the whole shortcuts system of FreeCAD to avoid these kinds of overlapping, but the discussion didn't go much further yet.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Sergio wrote:This is not freecad related but I take advantage of English speaking forums: is "depend on the fact that..." a correct syntax?
Yes (I think).
yorik wrote:Basically I was thinking of redefining the whole shortcuts system of FreeCAD to avoid these kinds of overlapping, but the discussion didn't go much further yet.
A little off topic but along the same lines: maybe add another modifier in Edit > Preferences > Draft WB > Grid and Snapping besides shift, ctrl, and alt. I can never use Alt, because it is a system key on linux.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bejant wrote:A little off topic but along the same lines: maybe add another modifier in Edit > Preferences > Draft WB > Grid and Snapping besides shift, ctrl, and alt. I can never use Alt, because it is a system key on linux.
This is not really possible I think, the alt, ctrl and shift keys don't behave the same way as others... I don't know if it is possible at all to use a common letter key as a modifier key (means: you keep it pressed while doing other stuff)