Nurbs editor

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Nurbs editor

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Hi microelly2, in your video "command line interface for the surface editor" you seem to utilize sketches, witch is a gigant leap forward in my opinion.
Now, is it possible to use the same sketches to first create ruling surfacs and then force the nurbs/bezier surface to be tangent/curvature correct to it?
In such a manner that the nurbs/bezier surface is completely ruled by the sketches and their ruling surfaces?

And another question: is it possible to use intersections instead of sketches? And ruling surfaces ofcourse.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am Hi microelly2, in your video "command line interface for the surface editor" you seem to utilize sketches, witch is a gigant leap forward in my opinion.
Now, is it possible to use the same sketches to first create ruling surfacs and then force the nurbs/bezier surface to be tangent/curvature correct to it?
there are the other videos where I show, how two faces can be connected with tangent constraints. the same sketch can work for multiple faces too. I will show a usecase to create a car surfaces from a couple of sketches. the workflow will be: start with straight skeches connected to a wire model of the car start bending the sketches to get curved surfaces with common edges.
In such a manner that the nurbs/bezier surface is completely ruled by the sketches and their ruling surfaces?
a wide number of surfaces can be defined by planar edges, and these edges can be based on sketches. Whne the gordon surface is ready to use we will have a very powerful tool. For the moment I have a simpler product method, which calculates a face by the 4 edges. The inner details must be moved using the surface editor. With the gordon surface we can support the inner geometry by sketches too.
And another question: is it possible to use intersections instead of sketches? And ruling surfaces ofcourse.
if you have the intersection curve of two faces the result can be a list of bsplines with degree higher than 3, I use for the moment only degree 3 because the higher values make the methods complex and I do not have time to go deeper into the details. I will look in future to find better ways to get faces connected - fillets which are based on the underlying nurbs grids. The workflow I want: Define wider areas as nice nurbs, than connect them with nice connector faces (with degree <=3). This way is better than a hard intersection curve which is smoothed with a fillet in the next step.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Here an example of a model which consists of 5 BSpline surfaces all defined by sketches only.
the faces share common border curves.
the model is full parametric by the sketches and the positions of the datum planes.

phpBB [video]
Pauvres_honteux

If you sweep a "stick/line/pin" along each green curve to get ruling surfaces and used them as common tangent surfaces. Would you then get tangent "shoe surfaces"?
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 am If you sweep a "stick/line/pin" along each green curve to get ruling surfaces and used them as common tangent surfaces. Would you then get tangent "shoe surfaces"?
The Bezier Product Faces can be connected to force a tangent area on the connected edge.
phpBB [video]

The influence of the tangent bending is restricted to the first segment only.
To restrict this area an extra knot can be added to the surface.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

here is the demo how to polish a face to G1.
phpBB [video]
Pauvres_honteux

:o , you really excell in surfaces! Man, you rock!!!
If I interpret this right one can now do automotive interior design?
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 pm :o , you really excell in surfaces! Man, you rock!!!
If I interpret this right one can now do automotive interior design?
yes, this will be the next but one video,
for today the tea pot example
phpBB [video]
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

here the tutorial for the hat
phpBB [video]
microelly2
Veteran