Help on Revolve, please

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Maavhamt

Help on Revolve, please

Post by Maavhamt »

Hello,
I have 2 shapes I like to "Revolve" the faces to a curved solid joining them together to make a strut. From the instructions on the Part Workbench re "Revolve a Selected Shape" it should be possible to revolve a face to a solid, but nothing seems to happen. I always get the message, "Selected an object, first, even though I have tried selecting objects, faces and lines. Cannot make out what I am doing wrong.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Strut.FCStd
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Maavhamt
[/size]
quick61
Veteran

Re: Help on Revolve, please

Post by quick61 »

First you need an independent face/edge/point to revolve. FreeCAD does not recognize a face from a solid as being an independent object. First I'll take it you're wanting something like this -
Revolve.png
Revolve.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
So what i did was to first use ShapeBuilder to create a face from the 4 edges of the end of Upright and then revolved the independent face with the values of Base X=0, Y=5, Z=141.5 with the Axis set as X and an Angle of -90*

Basicly the same thing for the bottom, except Base Z=-141.5 and Angle is 90*. After that, it's just a simple matter of Fusing the 5 parts if you are wanting them to all be one.
Strut(1).fcstd
(23.55 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Mark

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.18-dev
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Maavhamt,
Maavhamt wrote:I have 2 shapes I like to "Revolve" the faces to a curved solid joining them together to make a strut.
If you want a strut made of a single solid, This is not very efficient.

You can make it in ways that are easier and require fewer steps. Unless you really want this strut to be made of separate parts?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

quick61 wrote:So what i did was to first use ShapeBuilder to create a face from the 4 edges
Hi Mark
In the usual FreeCAD manner there is often many ways to do something. I just thought I would add that another method to get that face could be to use a Draft_Facebinder or perhaps mount a Sketch to the surface and use external geometry tool.

But of course your method and the above all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I have no doubt Norm also has some good ideas! :)

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote:I have no doubt Norm also has some good ideas! :)
I'm waiting for Maavhamt to reply before providing them. ;) Maybe I'm mistaken on what Maavhamt wants to achieve, then they would be irrelevant.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:I have no doubt Norm also has some good ideas! :)
I'm waiting for Maavhamt to reply before providing them. ;) Maybe I'm mistaken on what Maavhamt wants to achieve, then they would be irrelevant.
That is a good idea .....so I was right, again, as usual! You did have a good idea! :D
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

jmaustpc wrote:
quick61 wrote:So what i did was to first use ShapeBuilder to create a face from the 4 edges
Hi Mark
In the usual FreeCAD manner there is often many ways to do something. I just thought I would add that another method to get that face could be to use a Draft_Facebinder or perhaps mount a Sketch to the surface and use external geometry tool.

But of course your method and the above all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I have no doubt Norm also has some good ideas! :)

Jim
Hey Jim,

And yet another tool that should be in Part. A Part > Make Face, along with Part > Array, maybe, (or maybe not), broken down to a Part > Ortho Array and Part > Polar Array with the nice Task dialog like we have with the other Part tools - no fiddling about with the Combo view > Data tab on initial invocation of the tool.

Mark
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Good idea Mark. And I personally find ShapeBuilder's greatest weakness is that it does not produce parametric objects. This is why I seldom use it.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

NormandC wrote:Good idea Mark. And I personally find ShapeBuilder's greatest weakness is that it does not produce parametric objects. This is why I seldom use it.
While I find ShapeBuilder quite useful, I concur, it could be more, if only an code monkey,(and I mean that with the utmost affection), would write it that way. Sadly, I am not that code monkey, and most likely never will be. :P

Mark
Maavhamt

Post by Maavhamt »

Guys,

Thanks for all the input! Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I have had a busy weekend (we are moving house soon). Yes, I do want the strut to be one part. We envisage it being made from a strip stainless steel bent to shape.

Maavhamt
Maavhamt
[/size]