[resolved in 0.19]Ticket #2652 transparent cylinder in foreground only shown as wireframe when mouse ...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
silas

Re: transparent cylinder in foreground only shown as wireframe when mouse over a transparent box in the background

Post by silas »

Hello.

I also can reproduce the bug.

This is something I would like to investigate. It looks an interesting work so I can learn some of the FreeCAD internals in order to do more advanced work in the future.

I intend to have something delivered before May 1st, or an answer for you that I coundn't find the bug, so you have the rest of the year to delegate that to a more experienced developer.

Is it ok for you?

References to documentation about that are welcome.

Thanks!
wmayer
Founder

Re: transparent cylinder in foreground only shown as wireframe when mouse over a transparent box in the background

Post by wmayer »

It could be a Coin3d bug. Attached is an OpenInventor file that only uses standard nodes and when you move the cylinder to the same position as in the fcstd project then you can observe a similar behaviour. At some positions the transparency of the cylinder immediately changes from slightly transparent to almost fully transparent.

The difference to the fcstd project is that the cylinder is completely transparent. The reason for this is that at the moment the pre-selection color is always opaque even if a transparency is set. Due to the assumed Coin3d bug the plane is rendered on top of the cylinder and thus hides its faces.

I fear that this bug must be closed as not fixable.
Attachments
example.iv
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
silas

Post by silas »

Indeed. I was tracking down the code that renders the scene to the point it calls Coin3D (somewhere in src/Gui/Quarter/*?). Maybe we should at least send a problem report upstream?
Montoya88

Post by Montoya88 »

Hello I believe i have a similar problem except when I adjust the intended objects' transparency the intended object will turn into wire-frame. Also the 3D view appears choppy and frozen

Attached is the file and picture.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
Goal Post.FCStd
(135.89 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.51 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #2652 transparent cylinder in foreground only shown as wireframe when mouse over a transparent box in the bac

Post by Kunda1 »

please try to reproduce on latest 0.19 and report back
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cjones6108

Re: Ticket #2652 transparent cylinder in foreground only shown as wireframe when mouse over a transparent box in the bac

Post by cjones6108 »

Based on the discussion thread I think I'm doing this right. I downloaded the example drawing "Goal Post.FCStd", set the cylinder to 100% transparent as well as the box, and then orbited so that the box was completely behind one of the cylinders. Both elements are thus wireframed. Then, selecting the cylinder causes it to go opaque, but then mousing over the box does not change that; it goes opaque as well, but in a different color so that both are visible. Selecting the box causes the cylinder to revert to wireframe, but I think this would be expected behavior, as the cylinder would then be deselected and thus transparent.

Should the scenario I'm describing reproduce the problem? If so, I think I'm not seeing it.

My system and build info:
Version: 0.19.23721 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 4c323a63258b94903290fb23426be240c8663950
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

-----
caj
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

can't test atm.thanks for reporting
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I tested the original posted file, the issue no longer exists here on Kubuntu 18.04 with today's "daily PPA".

This seems to have been fixed by one or more of the thousands of updates in the all the related software stacks since this was reported approximately 5 years ago.

It is even possible that this could be effected in some way by your exact GPU and/or its driver etc.

For me here it is fixed, so I will mark this topic as resolved. I will also check that the ticket is closed. Edit: - I closed the ticket issue #2652

Jim

Version: 0.19.today's daily PPA
Branch: unknown
Hash: 497ecbe0eb399dd2b873762e4406aa9569976870
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)