Boolean Operations on non-solids

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Spida

Boolean Operations on non-solids

Postby Spida » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Trying to cut a cube with a complex object I get the warning "The use of non-solids for boolean operations may lead to unexpected results." Indeed, the operation fails.
  • What is a non-solid in this case? I assume that any trivial 3D object (cube, cylinder, ...) is a solid, how about results of boolean operations between them? Sketches are probably non-solids, but what about extruded sketches or lofts?
  • Having read the FAQ entry http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=F ... rd_results I have trouble to find out which part of my object is creating the problem. Is the only way to find out to remove sub-objects from my complex object until it works again?
  • Question on taking objects from unions for debugging purposes separated to second thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17278
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.
Build type: None
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Willem

Re: Boolean Operations on non-solids

Postby Willem » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:42 pm

With Lofts, sweeps you have to select yourself or it has to be a solid or not. If it went wrong while creating you can change it afterwards in the properties. So check the properties of the shape you made
sgrogan

Re: Boolean Operations on non-solids

Postby sgrogan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Spida wrote:What is a non-solid in this case? I assume that any trivial 3D object (cube, cylinder, ...) is a solid, how about results of boolean operations between them? Sketches are probably non-solids, but what about extruded sketches or lofts?
Check out the Part_CheckGeometry Tool and expand the Shape Content tab.
Vertices, edges, faces, sketches, and shells are not solids. The loft tool will by default create a shell unless the "make solid" option is checked.
EDIT: Willem was faster :) Meshes are not solids either (i.e. imported from .stl or .obj)