how to create half sphere on choosen face of a 3d object?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shivmsit

how to create half sphere on choosen face of a 3d object?

Postby shivmsit » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:43 pm

I am new to FreeCad and playing around with it for 2 weeks. I am comfortable to create 3d with sketch and doing operations in part design workbench. I had created a model and now I want to put a half sphere on a face of a rectangular 3d shape. If I create half sphere in part workbench it always created on origin and its very cumbersome to position it at desired location in 3d space. Is there any way to create half sphere on selected face by creating a sketch or something else?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
DeepSOIC

Re: how to create half sphere on choosen face of a 3d object?

Postby DeepSOIC » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi!
This can be done by a sketch using PartDesign.
1. Select face, create new sketch
2. draw a construction line to serve as revolution axis
3. draw and constrain a closed profile of a semi-circle, that when revolved around axis will produce a sphere.
4. PartDesign Revolution. This will make a sphere, but the sphere will be fused to the model (i.e. a hemispherical protrusion will be added to your boxy shape).

If you don't absolutely need that sphere to be parametrically linked, you can use a macro to make an actual Part Sphere in the clicked place.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:08 pm

EDIT: DeepSOIC was faster! But I added images and a file. ;)
shivmsit wrote:Is there any way to create half sphere on selected face by creating a sketch or something else?
It is possible, in the Part Design workbench. The steps are: create a sketch of a half-circle, then apply a revolution to the sketch.
  1. First select the face on which you want to make the half-sphere, then click on Image "Create new sketch".
  2. Draw a line and an arc in the sketch forming a closed half circle (I made it in a single step using the Image Sketcher Polyline tool). If the intended revolve axis does not lie on one of the sketch axes, add a construction line to serve as revolution axis. It is important that the closed profile does not intersect the revolution axis.
    FC_PD_Half-sphere_01.png
    FC_PD_Half-sphere_01.png (13.91 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

3. Create a Image PartDesign Revolution. Adjust the parameters as needed. If you created a construction line to be used as revolution axis, it will be available in the Axis dropdown as "Sketch axis 0".
    FC_PD_Half-sphere_02.png
    FC_PD_Half-sphere_02.png (37.32 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Attachments
PartDesign_Revolution_half-sphere.normandc1.fcstd
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
shivmsit

Postby shivmsit » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Thank you DeepSOIC for quick answer and thank you NormandC for your great illustrative explanation. This is really very helpful and solved my problem.
ScheissSchiesser

Postby ScheissSchiesser » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi There,

I am trying to create a fillister slotted screw head (https://www.amesweb.info/Fasteners/Mach ... -Head.aspx) and I am having a heck of a time creating the partial spherical cap. I have tried to revolve a cross section but I get an error saying that the axis of rotation goes through the sketch.

The solution given here only works for a hemisphere, not a smaller section of a sphere.

Is it possible to adapt this principle to a smaller section?

I have attached the file with a cross-section sketch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
CO2_knob.FCStd
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:41 am

Hi ScheissSchiesser, welcome to the forum; nice user name.
Revolving is a great idea. You must not sketch a whole section, but only half of it and revolve it 360°. See PartDesign Revolution.
ScheissSchiesser

Postby ScheissSchiesser » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:38 am

Thank you for the help. Seems obvious in retrospect!

Attached is the final design I was after. I used the model of the fillister head as a digital "mold" (with a tiny offset) to make a fitted thumb screw. I 3D printed it and it works great!
Attachments
CO2_knob.FCStd
(49.38 KiB) Downloaded 9 times