sketch to DXF

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
trampas

sketch to DXF

Post by trampas »

is it possible to save a sketch as a DXF?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: sketch to DXF

Post by easyw-fc »

trampas wrote:is it possible to save a sketch as a DXF?
in Draft WB you can convert Sketch to Draft (command Draft to Sketch) and then export to Autodesk dxf
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Or you simply select the sketch itself and export it to Autodesk DXF.

It works. ;)
otto9F9otto

Post by otto9F9otto »

But how well does "export to DXF work? I opened my drawing (created in sketcher) then selected the Draft workbench. Sure enough, export to DXF was there, so I did. Then, I opened the exported drawing with LibreCAD. I got the drawing, but the dimensions are missing. Darn. :|

My system specs:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13638 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 983f2472a871f8b808fccdf8fa8d05dd276c3fba
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

otto9F9otto wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:45 pm Sure enough, export to DXF was there, so I did. Then, I opened the exported drawing with LibreCAD. I got the drawing, but the dimensions are missing. Darn. :|
There are no dimensions in a Sketch. They are dimensional constraints. It's not the same thing. They are not exported because they are internal elements of the sketch that are not exposed outside of the sketch edit mode.
otto9F9otto

Post by otto9F9otto »

What you are implying, NormandC, is a difference in philosophy: Dimensions + tolerances are constraints, and constraints can include dimensions + tolerances and other information.

Is the initial 3-D printing focus of FreeCAD the reason, also, why tolerances are not accommodated? After all, with 3-D printing, you get what the printer provides: tolerances are not part of the input.

If I design a part that is not to be 3-D printed (the best tool for my widget is a NC lathe), then my efforts may be better spent on a 2-D CAD program such as LibreCAD, which works directly with DXF drawings (no export necessary) and accommodates tolerances. A local machine shop that may fabricate my part requested DXF format.

Are my statements, above, correct?

I still think it would be cool if FreeCAD constraints were exported as dimensions upon DXF export.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

otto9F9otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 pm Are my statements, above, correct?
Most aren't. ;)

otto9F9otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 pm What you are implying, NormandC, is a difference in philosophy: Dimensions + tolerances are constraints
No, that's not correct. Dimensions are informative about existing geometry. Dimensional constraints affect the geometry. They are totally different concepts.

It is not the purpose of the solver-based Sketcher to produce dimensioned drawings. Its purpose is to precisely define 2D geometry that is then used in 3D operations.

otto9F9otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 pm Is the initial 3-D printing focus of FreeCAD the reason
Another erroneous statement. FreeCAD's focus is not 3D printing, and it actually predates the 3D printing craze. It started as a mechanical computer-aided design program but with the years it got a wider range of intended purposes like 3D printing, architecture modeling, FEM, CAM, etc.

The basics of a parametric 3D CAD programs like FreeCAD are
  • Build 3D models using 2D profiles (produced by various means such as the Draft or Sketcher workbenches) and 3D tools found in various workbenches (Arch, Part, PartDesign)
  • Create technical drawings with projected views of the 3D model in the Drawing workbench (v0.16) or the new TechDraw workbench that aims to replace Drawing (v0.17)
  • Add dimensions to the projected scaled views in the drawing page. The Drawing wb doesn't have dimensioning capability and requires an external plug-in. TechDraw does include dimensioning tools, but as it's the very first iteration, some tools are missing and will be added later.
  • Print the page or export it as SVG or DXF. TechDraw is missing DXF export at this time.
As for tolerances, I assume you're talking about dimensioning tolerances, because a 3D model does not have tolerances built-in. TechDraw does not support tolerancing at this time, possibly the Drawing Dimensioning add-on for the Drawing wb does.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

otto9F9otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 pm What you are implying, NormandC, is a difference in philosophy: Dimensions + tolerances are constraints, and constraints can include dimensions + tolerances and other information.

Is the initial 3-D printing focus of FreeCAD the reason, also, why tolerances are not accommodated?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=22072
otto9F9otto

Post by otto9F9otto »

Thanks for the clarification, NormandC. Also, for the extra information, easyw-fc.