Inward thickening

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jean.thil

Re: Inward thickening

Postby jean.thil » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 pm

I have tried another way : make a solid and make of shell of it.
Interestingly, it works in 0.16 (with Draft spline) and not in 0.17 with sketcher spline.
(0.16 info)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
Attachments
tadpole_v4.fcstd
(5.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
tadpole_v16.fcstd
(95.68 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
NormandC

Re: Inward thickening

Postby NormandC » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:18 am

Willem wrote:I was not aware of the 2D offset function either. I think it is not logical that this function is not located in the Sketcher and/or the PartDesign workbench, the logical workbenches for 2D functions, but in the Part workbench, which is the ultimate 3D workbench
The Part workbench is a GUI manifestation of the Part module which is the basis for everything in FreeCAD. It's a general purpose workbench that can build all kinds of shapes from the ground up (from vertices to solids). The Part 2D Offset tool not only works on Sketches but on any type of 2D geometry. Therefore it's logical that it be located in the Part workbench.

What would be more suited to the Sketcher would be an offset tool inside the sketch editing mode.
jean.thil wrote:I'd like to find a way that works for most shapes. I have tried some other way but without success.
As far as I can tell, thickness and offset tools are based on similar algorithms. They've proven to be weak and unreliable, even with relatively simple shapes that don't contain B-spline surfaces. It may very well be the OCC kernel itself that's at fault.

So I doubt you'll be able to figure out a 100% working process.