Can I install the Path Worckbench on V15

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bosco

Can I install the Path Worckbench on V15

Post by Bosco »

Hello, I am a new user to CAD in general. I downloaded FreeCAD a few months back for a 10+ year old macbook pro i use. It seems the latest version I could download was V15 due to my OS being 10.6.8. Therefore I don't have all the newer features.

I would like to know if its possible to add the Path Module/workbench to the version of FreeCAD I am running. I tried to search this, but I couldnt find anything. (probably user error)

System specs

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Jesse
Mesa, AZ.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Can I install the Path Worckbench on V15

Post by chrisb »

For the new Path stuff you need FreeCAD version 0.17, usually the newest build. They run on builds >= 10.10.
Do you have any chance to update your Mac?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Do you have any chance to update your Mac?
If for any reason this is not possible you can also install a virtual box with a Linux system in it. Then you can install the latest FreeCAD version there. If you install Ubuntu then you can use the PPA and get a daily version of FreeCAD.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

My MacBook Pro is a bit out dated. I bought it in 05 or 06. Im fairly certain 10.6.8 is as far as I can take it. I don't have the desire to learn Linux. I'm likely going to buy another computer.

Does freecad 15 have a method to make a tool path and convert it into GCode?

I just bought a Desktop cnc mill. I'm hoping to learn how to use it.
Jesse
Mesa, AZ.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

Bosco wrote:My MacBook Pro is a bit out dated. I bought it in 05 or 06. Im fairly certain 10.6.8 is as far as I can take it. I don't have the desire to learn Linux. I'm likely going to buy another computer.

Does freecad 15 have a method to make a tool path and convert it into GCode?

I just bought a Desktop cnc mill. I'm hoping to learn how to use it.
You won't be able to do much with FreeCAD 15 and Path workbench. Take Werner's advice and try the VM method.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

The desktop CNC I bought also came with BobCAD-CAM V27. I wouldn't mind playing around with it, it seems like it would be better to just buy another computer with windows.

My Mac has 16 gigs available and it feels like I've only been getting by with it the past 5 years.
Jesse
Mesa, AZ.
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

Bosco wrote: ...
I don't have the desire to learn Linux.
There's nothing to it

The GUI is similar to all WIMP (windows, icons, menus, pointer) interfaces and I believe the Mac OS is a tweaked version of FreeBSD. Ubuntu, in particular, is designed to be intuitive rather than overly technical.

Give it a try: you may well find that you like it enough to install it on your machine as your primary operating system and give your ageing machine a new lease of life.
~ Dave
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi Bosco and welcome; I just wanted to note that you can put Linux on a thumb drive and boot from the thumb drive. This way you can try it without changing anything on your hard drive.
Bosco

Post by Bosco »

Thank you everyone. I may give Linux on a thumb drive a shot. How does that work with the apps I currently have on mac? Would I need to download Linux versions? I use Adobe Illustrator probably the most, is this available?
Jesse
Mesa, AZ.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Bosco wrote:Thank you everyone. I may give Linux on a thumb drive a shot. How does that work with the apps I currently have on mac?
You're welcome; for your Mac apps you'd choose to boot into your Mac OS on startup. If you want to install Linux on your hard drive later you'd partition your HD and have Mac on one partition and Linux on another. I use Ubuntu but still have a Windows XP partition although I haven't booted into XP for well over a year.
Bosco wrote:Would I need to download Linux versions?
No, if Linux works the same way on a Mac you can keep your Mac apps on the Mac partition, but you have to boot into the Mac OS first to use them. You can access your Mac files when you're in Linux though.
Bosco wrote: I use Adobe Illustrator probably the most, is this available?
For Linux, I don't think so but you should check that yourself because I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Apple world.