Sluggish Spreadsheet on Complex Model?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Sluggish Spreadsheet on Complex Model?

Post by paullee »

Hi, I am trying to explore the Spreadsheet on my model.

I find it perform very slow. I try input in a cell, it is 1 or 2 s pause, each keystroke response is slow, enter follow by another few second pause.

Then I realize if i open a new empty file, it works without problem. I guess Spreadsheet is trying to reference objects in the models so it become very slow when the model is complicated and file is large? I have a mult-storey multi-flat building which is now about 12mB.

Any suggestion?

BTW, any more information available for Functions in Spreadsheet (& Arch Schedule) in addition to those I could find below?
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Spreadsheet_Workbench
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Manual: ... readsheets

Thanks!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10989 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 1a9c878b609aded0d04b725b1229f70dd045bb0e
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
regis

Re: Sluggish Spreadsheet on Complex Model?

Post by regis »

Yes it is also quite slow on my end. That's why I haven't done a tutorial on it yet.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

paullee wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 am Version: 0.17.10989 (Git)
Can you try with more updated version of FC? (current is r12870)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:18 pm
paullee wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 am Version: 0.17.10989 (Git)
Can you try with more updated version of FC? (current is r12870)

FreeCAD-0.17.git201712101906.glibc-x86_64.AppImage
FreeCAD-0.17.git201712210014.glibc-x86_64.AppImage

Still same performance... will see if I can single this out later if I have a moment.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Try right clicking on the document item in the tree view. There will be some options like an options to Skip recomputes or to Mark (the document) to recompute. When the Skip recomputes option will be enabled try to change the value in Spreadsheet cell after. To see if such approach will allow you to enter the value in one step.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

triplus wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 pm Try right clicking on the document item in the tree view. There will be some options like an options to Skip recomputes or to Mark (the document) to recompute. When the Skip recomputes option will be enabled try to change the value in Spreadsheet cell after. To see if such approach will allow you to enter the value in one step.
Some further information to update, tested again on - FreeCAD-0.17.git201712101906.glibc-x86_64.AppImage

- Still pause after input (i.e. input [enter] )something in a cell
- BUT, each keystrokes (e.g. =Sketch.Constraints.Constraint18) seems normal
- That's just pause after entering [enter]

- & Yes, Skip Recompute helps
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

paullee wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 am Hi, I am trying to explore the Spreadsheet on my model.

I find it perform very slow. I try input in a cell, it is 1 or 2 s pause, each keystroke response is slow, enter follow by another few second pause.

Then I realize if i open a new empty file, it works without problem. I guess Spreadsheet is trying to reference objects in the models so it become very slow when the model is complicated and file is large? I have a mult-storey multi-flat building which is now about 12mB.

Any suggestion?
It's probably this: https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2467

Eivind
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

eivindkvedalen wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm
paullee wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 am Hi, I am trying to explore the Spreadsheet on my model.

Any suggestion?
It's probably this: https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2467

Eivind
Thanks, sound very much like this one!

See my post just above, on FreeCAD-0.17.git201712101906.glibc-x86_64.AppImage, it seem inputting is normal now - just after inputting [ after inputting [enter] ], there is still seconds of pause.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

paullee wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:47 pm - & Yes, Skip Recompute helps
Good to hear that.
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Hi. I wanted to report that I'm using 0.19, and the spreadsheet is slow as hell. Any change (ANY, including typing a value in an empty cell) hangs my computer for more than 30 seconds.

My current model is 3.5 MB and not very complex : 30-40 bodies and a lot of holes.
Yes, I have an old PC (Core i3 530), but even so, this shouldn't be happening. Not to this extent.
The spreadsheet used to be reactive, but it became sluggish with the progressive growth of my model.
My model and FreeCAD are reactive as a whole, it's just the spreadsheet that isn't.
I can't believe that nothing can be done to optimize this any further.

@realthunder posted here that "there is no noticeable delay for completion with 1000+ objects". He most certainly doesn't have an old PC like me. The problem is still very real, unfortunately.
Merci à toutes les personnes qui m'ont aidé et m'aident encore à débuter et à m'améliorer sur FreeCAD