Ask for a Hint

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
seanwang
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Ask for a Hint

Postby seanwang » Sat May 13, 2017 5:17 am

Hi,
I'm trying to figuring a perfect repeat for a membrane cutter. The shape is posted as the picture.
Could anyone give me a hint how to sketch this in FreeCad?


OS: Windows 10
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6704 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 0c449d7e8f9b2b1fb93e3f8d1865e2f59d7ed253
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
P_20170513_130406_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20170513_130406_vHDR_Auto.jpg (289.4 KiB) Viewed 632 times
chrisb
Posts: 19594
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby chrisb » Sat May 13, 2017 7:06 am

You can trace it by hand in FreeCAD with Draft Workbench and bezier or spline curves. But I would recommend that you use inkscape to trace it, simplify the path make sure it is closed and finally import it as geometry into FreeCAD.
seanwang
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby seanwang » Sat May 13, 2017 7:27 am

chrisb wrote:You can trace it by hand in FreeCAD with Draft Workbench and bezier or spline curves. But I would recommend that you use inkscape to trace it, simplify the path make sure it is closed and finally import it as geometry into FreeCAD.
Good idea!
Thanks for your suggestion.
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby NormandC » Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 pm

chrisb wrote:I would recommend that you use inkscape to trace it, simplify the path make sure it is closed and finally import it as geometry into FreeCAD.
I agree wholeheartedly. The automatic path tracing in Inkscape is a fantastic tool, a real life saver. It as well as other Inkscape tools have saved me time on multiple occasions at work. Open source FTW. ;)

The only complaint I have is that it imports as a path object in FreeCAD that you cannot modify. Hopefully someday FreeCAD will import such objects and convert them to editable Draft objects or Sketches.
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5927
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby Kunda1 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:07 pm

NormandC wrote:
chrisb wrote:I would recommend that you use inkscape to trace it, simplify the path make sure it is closed and finally import it as geometry into FreeCAD.
I agree wholeheartedly. The automatic path tracing in Inkscape is a fantastic tool, a real life saver. It as well as other Inkscape tools have saved me time on multiple occasions at work. Open source FTW. ;)

The only complaint I have is that it imports as a path object in FreeCAD that you cannot modify. Hopefully someday FreeCAD will import such objects and convert them to editable Draft objects or Sketches.
NormandC, is there an open feature request for such a thing?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby NormandC » Sat May 13, 2017 9:32 pm

I doubt it...
chrisb
Posts: 19594
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby chrisb » Sat May 13, 2017 9:45 pm

NormandC wrote: The only complaint I have is that it imports as a path object in FreeCAD that you cannot modify. Hopefully someday FreeCAD will import such objects and convert them to editable Draft objects or Sketches.
It would be great if the Draft->Convert Draft/Sketch tool could convert drafts with splines as well. It should be possible now, since splines are available in Sketcher thanks to abdullah's work.
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby NormandC » Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Definitely! One of us should post a feature request on the bug tracker... :D
chrisb
Posts: 19594
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby chrisb » Sat May 13, 2017 9:50 pm

NormandC wrote:Definitely! One of us should post a feature request on the bug tracker... :D
Since your experience and your english are far better than mine I would be glad if you could do it :mrgreen: .
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Ask for a Hint

Postby NormandC » Sat May 13, 2017 9:54 pm

:lol:

Your English is fine, and your French is not too shabby either from what I've seen on the French forum (or are you using Google Translate? :P ). You got the best of me on that front, I only know 2 languages...