[SOLVED] Error reopening project with multiple pages with the same template

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mickele

[SOLVED] Error reopening project with multiple pages with the same template

Post by mickele »

If I create a project with multiple pages that share the same template, everything works fine the first time I create the pages.
If I save the project, close freecad, reopen the file and check templates of the pages, only one page has the right template, the others have template that don't exist.
For example, if template is A3_Landscape.svg, only one page has A3_Landscape.svg as template, the others have A3_Landscape1.svg, A3_Landscape2.svg etc.
If I change something in the drawing, I have a sign of error on the pages with non existing templates and, consequently, drawing doesn't update.
Attachments
multipages.fcstd
(71.35 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Last edited by mickele on Mon May 22, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Error reopening project with multiple pages with the same template

Post by chrisb »

You are probably using FreeCAD 0.16 and you should have added your FreeCAD info here, as it says in the hard to miss link with the red background above.
You need a separate template for each drawing. You can simply copy them or if you are on a modern system like Ubuntu you can use symbolic links.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

OP opened ticket issue #3037
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.9.1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think it is not worth putting any effort into this: There is an easy workaround which has to be done a single time. In 0.17 there will be TechDraw Workbench replacing Drawing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

This is a known issue (FreeCAD 0.16). Unfortunately it was resolved only after FreeCAD 0.16 was released. Therefore when using FreeCAD 0.17 Drawing workbench to add drawing pages/templates and after reopening the document mentioned issue shouldn't be detected anymore (that is when using FreeCAD 0.17). In the new issue report it is said TechDraw has the same issue. AFAIK it does not have such issue and therefore more elaboration on this is needed.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The bug report lists only the details of the 0.16 version. I checked with the current 0.17 (see below). No problem there. I added a comment to the issue.
Perhaps mickele has seen the path of the templates in the TechDraw page. They point in fact to two different files, but those are pointers to some files below the systems tmp-directory. I don't know what happens when I move the FreeCAD file to another system.

Version: 0.17.11104 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 1b2b964c35bd0f989f1f833a372c48e08cec0194
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No problem here either with drawing and templates.

A search for "template" in the bugtracker found 7 matches of which the 3rd issue #2184 is the same as issue #3073 discussed here.

Version: 0.17.10993 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from bf5f348)
Hash: bf5f3484f6f5506795b6e9b86288c75ab7357291
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

And I checked the TechDraw as well: no problem opening the file on another system.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

chrisb wrote:And I checked the TechDraw as well: no problem opening the file on another system.
That is correct. TechDraw includes the template from the originating machine into the FCSTD file, then uses the included file on subsequent opens.
mickele

Re: [SOLVED] Error reopening project with multiple pages with the same template

Post by mickele »

Ok, I had checked an old git-version. Effectively with recent versions the issue is solved.