Curves workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chris_G
Veteran

Re: Curves workbench

Post by Chris_G »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:24 pm Lets track the issue on the curves workbench repo then?
Yes please.
ChrisWomble

Post by ChrisWomble »

Having managed to make the gordon surface tool work for my trivial example (thanks for all the models, everyone who posted). I been trying to apply the same technique to the surface I would really like to model:
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 22-20-50.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 22-20-50.png (17.06 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
But the tool does not give me the result I would like:
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 22-20-50.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 22-20-50.png (17.06 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
Can anyone suggest what it is I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
Funnelv2.FCStd
(39.94 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 22-20-55.png
Screenshot from 2021-08-25 22-20-55.png (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Putting 2 profiles so close to each other produces heavy oscillation.
See how the curve changes here :

oscillation.gif
oscillation.gif (171.61 KiB) Viewed 1876 times

Try to model your surface with curves that are more evenly distributed.
ChrisWomble

Post by ChrisWomble »

Thanks Chris - that is an excellent and intuitive explanation!

What I am hoping to achieve is a surface which transitions from the top profile to the bottom profile, but which quickly loses the sharp corner of the top profile. Can you suggest an approach which would allow me to do that?
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

... besides being a fan of Gordon - but sometimes a simple 4-section loft works better.
(knowing from ships hulls design...)
There are redraws caused by FC-Version conflict - very soon I'll get a 64-PC!!

Simple_Loft_2.PNG
Simple_Loft_2.PNG (45.05 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Attachments
Funnelv3.FCStd
FC.18.4
(46.57 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Cekuhnen wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm Trim and split are just very common tools...
They sure are!
Amending to that I'd say, having them as separate tools opens up for showing two different icons in the tree. That way one can directly and visually see which tool/operation was used and therefor emediately know what that particular tool produced (two separate surfaces or one joined surface).

Further the split tool can be incorporated in a "surface-to-surface-radii-tool" (it's yet to be created) in such a way it automatically splt them surfaces the user selects and apply a radius (or radii) of choice along the intersection. This creates a much more Topo-naming stable solution for radius/radii.

Background fact: a trim command produces a common edge which becomes the radius/radii parent. And here lies the problem, the topo-naming chain will eventually become so long it breaks.

Perhaps we should make a feature request for trim and split, so they don't fall between chairs?
Cekuhnen wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm In the end all trim commands project a curve
Huh, there you go! Out of curiosity, how did you find out about that?

Cekuhnen wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:07 pm ... find the intersection curve ...
Regarding intersections in general, there's a feature request for it: issue #3301
ChrisWomble

Post by ChrisWomble »

hammax wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:25 am ... besides being a fan of Gordon - but sometimes a simple 4-section loft works better.
(knowing from ships hulls design...)
There are redraws caused by FC-Version conflict - very soon I'll get a 64-PC!!

Simple_Loft_2.PNG
Thank you hammax - this is exactly what I wanted to achieve. I will spend some time unpicking what you have done to understand it better. Such a quick response - I'm really very grateful.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 am Huh, there you go! Out of curiosity, how did you find out about that?
In Alias I have the curve created before split and the curve remains.
Good proposal for the intersection container.
You can do intersection points via a datum plane and datum points and then later put a sketch on that datum plane and project the points into the sketch. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 5&start=10
This is working but kinda more steps than needed - would be ideal just be inside the sketcher.

I read in the past that other surface modelers hide the curve.
ChrisWomble wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:25 pm Having managed to make the gordon surface tool work for my trivial example
I am puzzled how you managed to place the MidSketch onto the Sketch/Profile Back and Profile Front.

Did you find an intersection point or is that why in Sketch the paths are broken into two parts ?
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 8.18.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 8.18.40 AM.png (51.63 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
ChrisWomble

Post by ChrisWomble »

Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm I am puzzled how you managed to place the MidSketch onto the Sketch/Profile Back and Profile Front.
Did you find an intersection point or is that why in Sketch the paths are broken into two parts ?
In the sketch, I extended the bezier with line segments. The top point of the bezier and the line segments each have a horizontal constraint - specifically so I could place the datum plane to provide the additional profile at the height I wanted it.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

ChrisWomble wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:41 pm
Cekuhnen wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm I am puzzled how you managed to place the MidSketch onto the Sketch/Profile Back and Profile Front.
In the sketch, I extended the bezier with line segments. The top point of the bezier and the line segments each have a horizontal constraint - specifically so I could place the datum plane to provide the additional profile at the height I wanted it.
Ok good that is what I assumed.
Good example for a find intersecting point command in the sketcher
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design