Curves workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Curves workbench

Post by chrisb »

937 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:32 am FreeCAD crashes whenever I press the 'q' shortcut.
Looks more like a quit than a crash.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

937 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:32 am FreeCAD crashes whenever I press the 'q' shortcut.
I suppose you talk about the Edit mode of the Freehand BSpline tool.
Yes, indeed, I just fixed this. Thanks.
937 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:32 am Note the (InitGui.py not found)... ignore seems not to be a problem.
It is not a problem.
937 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:32 am Note also that I've just started learning FreeCAD a week ago and stayed mostly in the Sketcher and Part Workbenches so I don't know if only this Workbench is unstable for me.
Please note that Curves workbench is unstable, experimental and almost not documented, so you shouldn't install it while you're still in early learning stage.

Post by 937 »

Chris_G wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:33 pm Yes, indeed, I just fixed this. Thanks.
Thanks!

I was following along with this recent tutorial which seems to be an excellent introduction to the workbench: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm7Sj2bLeVc
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Chris_G wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:33 pm Please note that Curves workbench is unstable, experimental and almost not documented, so you shouldn't install it while you're still in early learning stage.
While I fully agree that newbies should start learning the base system (otherwise it is like planning a moon landing while not knowing anything about math) I disagree with each of the properties mentioned. You did a phantastic nearly unbelievable good job with this workbench, and even the documentation is pretty good :D :D :D !
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

From StudyCadCam #758, a surface challenge: who will find the right way to build this surface.
I can't find it out. :roll: Gordon doesn't carry out nice continuities.
Attachments
Surface2Make.FCStd
(15.46 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

GlouGlou wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:17 pm From StudyCadCam #758 ...
To me it seams the big surfaces/faces are double curved and the rest are "just" radii.
So it should be possible if you work with oversized/crossing surfaces/faces. Though I don't know how much control you'll get over them ...

So, create them so large they cross each other, then trim them to form a sharp edged bottle, try to put radii on it. You'll probably need to experiment with the order of radius application.

Edit: clarification
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
aerospaceweeb

Post by aerospaceweeb »

Hey all,

I'm trying to surface this handle in FreeCAD and I'm running into some of the classic saddle problems.

I've tried hull curves from sections in the surfacing toolbar, but that leaves me with the nose of the handle which I've yet to find a good solution for. I've tried splitting the hull curved handle and then used guide curves to make the domed leading face, but that almost always results in something that crashes a few dozen features later.

I had slightly better success with the sweep on 2 rails feature, but I then ran into tangency issues again later as I tried to split up the parting line between the top shell and the bottom shell.

I'm certain there must be some killer features in the curves workbench that I just haven't figured out yet. Any guidance would be welcome.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (145.31 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

aerospaceweeb wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:59 pm ... there must be some killer features in the curves workbench that I just haven't figured out yet.
If you figure that out I / we would really like to know about it!

issue #4615 Surface to surface tangency via a common curve
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

... surface tangency.
To force surface tangency on Gordon when clone-mirroring, you can duplicate and offset border lines (magenta, e.g. offset inward 2 mm).
Better to increase tolerance, when Gordon refuses action.

SurfaceTangencyTrick.PNG
SurfaceTangencyTrick.PNG (69.23 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Attachments
Surface2Make_2.FCStd
FC.18.4
(224.35 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Great! this trick can help to get a better continuity.
I was trying to use CurveSegment (CurvedShaped Wb). But no got nice surface.
Attachments
SurfaceCurveSegment.FCStd
(427.85 KiB) Downloaded 40 times