Curves workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Re: Curves workbench

Post by Vincent B »

Great tool to build surface from 3 edges. Give something different with stretched/coons surface.
Clap clap clap. :D
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Curves workbench - wrong update message

Post by chrisb »

I wanted to update my Curves addon and get this update message:
Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-20 um 10.00.18.png
Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-20 um 10.00.18.png (24.32 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
The update itself currently hangs, so I cannot tell what I get after an update.

Edit: This may be an issue with the addon manager, so please ignore it for now.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

an other try with gordon surface. Surface continuities are not very good like this. :roll:
Attachments
testcuis6cpy_vb.FCStd
(159.36 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.32 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
andremiv

Post by andremiv »

I have tried for too many hours and got poor results. I tried gordon and kinda works but not really. At least I learned a lot of the capabilities of Surfacing of FreeCAD... I will make my enveloppe with standard sketcher and part design without curves or surface WB. The curves and surfaces WB are too buggy and limited for the using I wanted. They just keeped crashing. constant crashing, at least 1 to 2 restart of freecad per hour needed. Ok for creating quasi flat surfaces like computer mouse or hulls but it is a big no for more complex shapes like the one I provided. A guy with master degree in mathematics or physics is needed to imlement minimal surfaces with variable pressure. The equation and algorithms are well documented in books for those who cant derive them. Zlibrary is the way to go, shame that governments tries to take them down ! Please Chris G, implement some minimal surface magic, please !
A new era of point programmation has come !
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

... if other tools are too complex, how about to learn and use Blend_Surface ?

Testcuis_3.PNG
Testcuis_3.PNG (51.94 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Attachments
testcuis_3.FCStd
FC.20.1
(518.14 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
andremiv

Post by andremiv »

Thank you, It looks beautiful ! My enclosure is parametric and there are a lot of parameter, not sure if it will behave correctly. In my head I expected to have good surface out of the box with my original wire enclosure. I guess I have to make multiples lines, multiple gordon, multiple blend surfaces etc... Time consuming and often frozen requiring restarts. I prefer now to do it with sketcher. Tell me if you want some feedback on bugs encountered, because I am a noob so it is as if I stress tested the software, because noobs likes to click on buttons, but noobs don't expect software to froze.
A new era of point programmation has come !
mhalil

Post by mhalil »

It looks very nice
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Having created a JoinCurve from two lines and an arc in a sketch, I get the following warning when attaching another sketch to the JoinCurve:

Code: Select all

AttachEngine3D::calculateAttachedPlacement: path curve second derivative is below 1e-14, can't align x axis.
What are the ramifications of this warning?

Problems later in the model?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

It means that on the straight segments, the AttachEngine is unable to get a normal vector (to support the X axis of the sketch), since there is no curvature there.
I don't know the possible consequences, but I think it may lead to orientation inconstancies if you slide the sketch along the curve.
It depends on how AttachEngine finds a fallback normal when it can't get it from the curve.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Chris_G wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:58 pm It means that on the straight segments, the AttachEngine is unable to get a normal vector (to support the X axis of the sketch), since there is no curvature there.
I don't know the possible consequences, but I think it may lead to orientation inconstancies if you slide the sketch along the curve.
It depends on how AttachEngine finds a fallback normal when it can't get it from the curve.
Thanks.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."