Aligning sketch between edges of a padded part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cram

Aligning sketch between edges of a padded part

Post by cram »

I'm wanting to align a sketch between edges of a part, in order to than extrude and subtract making a hole in the part. I'm wanting to align a circle sketch between two edges so it is centred between the two and also set a distance from the end of part. I've attached the file.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.11266 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ab1b344410600b7d694abf6bb4ff2b71769978c5
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Attachments
BoltFootingBracket6.FCStd
(13.66 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
sheinz

Re: Aligning sketch between edges of a padded part

Post by sheinz »

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly.
Does it look like what you want?

I rearranged the part to be symmetrical around the origin. It's always easy to work with the part this way.
And just create a sketch on the YZ plane. It will be right between the edges of the part.
When pocketing select "Symmetric to plane" and "Through all".
2017-06-14-165237_711x380_scrot.png
2017-06-14-165237_711x380_scrot.png (27.67 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
(24.6 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If that's the use case it is far easier if you attach the sketch to one of the faces at the side and pocket through all. If you need the arbitrary solution and cannot reposition the object as sheinz showed you can use expressions to position the sketch. Watchout: you can use expressions for the placement in the data tab only, not in the placement dialog.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cram

Post by cram »

sheinz wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:59 pm I'm not sure if I understood you correctly.
Does it look like what you want?

I rearranged the part to be symmetrical around the origin. It's always easy to work with the part this way.
And just create a sketch on the YZ plane. It will be right between the edges of the part.
When pocketing select "Symmetric to plane" and "Through all".

2017-06-14-165237_711x380_scrot.png
Awesome thanks Sheinz. The result is what you have is what I was after.
cram

Post by cram »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm If that's the use case it is far easier if you attach the sketch to one of the faces at the side and pocket through all. If you need the arbitrary solution and cannot reposition the object as sheinz showed you can use expressions to position the sketch. Watchout: you can use expressions for the placement in the data tab only, not in the placement dialog.
Thanks Crisb, I was going to sketch to face , but thought there may be away of using the part edges as a reference when positioning however there does not seem such tool. From what I understand by doing it this way the position of sketch needs to be manually positioned by coordinates?
eds

Post by eds »

cram wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 am
chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm If that's the use case it is far easier if you attach the sketch to one of the faces at the side and pocket through all. If you need the arbitrary solution and cannot reposition the object as sheinz showed you can use expressions to position the sketch. Watchout: you can use expressions for the placement in the data tab only, not in the placement dialog.
Thanks Crisb, I was going to sketch to face , but thought there may be away of using the part edges as a reference when positioning however there does not seem such tool. From what I understand by doing it this way the position of sketch needs to be manually positioned by coordinates?
The tool you're looking for is this:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_External
cram

Post by cram »

eds wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:10 am
The tool you're looking for is this:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_External
Thanks eds, that is exactly what I was looking for.