using sketcher WB and parametric sketch for house /walls

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hajduk

using sketcher WB and parametric sketch for house /walls

Post by hajduk »

Dear folks,

as we are restoring a house, I would like to model many aspects in CAD.
I have a SolidWorks background, so I would really like to use Sketcher and its parametric possibilities, rather than getting used to draft WB.

But I am completely at odds how to use a parametric sketch to generate the walls.
I my sketch uses complete wall infos (not only one line, but rather the outline of the wall already in the sketch), I am not able to tell the wall tool just to use one line of the sketch as the basis for the wall.

Can I generate for each wall a sketch with one line that is dependent on the more complex floor plan that I drew in Sketcher?
In Solidworks, this is quite simple - draw a new sketch and simply take a copy of a single line of an existing sketch.

Or what would be the way to go also in Freecad?

The architecture tutorials that I found were more focused on Darft WB which is more geared towards people used to Autocad I think.

I would love to get some hints.
Thank you so much!

Martin

P.S. I use Freecad 0.16, 6706
Walls build only by snapping on edges of sketch
Walls build only by snapping on edges of sketch
FreeCADScreenSnapz001.png (93.58 KiB) Viewed 609 times
constrained sketch
constrained sketch
FreeCADScreenSnapz002.png (174.53 KiB) Viewed 609 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: using sketcher WB and parametric sketch for house /walls

Post by NormandC »

Hi,
hajduk wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:54 am I am not able to tell the wall tool just to use one line of the sketch as the basis for the wall.
The Arch Wall tool doesn't support this at this time, but it's been requested.
hajduk wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:54 am Can I generate for each wall a sketch with one line that is dependent on the more complex floor plan that I drew in Sketcher?
Not in the current 0.16.67xx stable version. You could in the 0.17 development version, but it would honestly be a hassle.

If you have a sketch containing the whole floor plan, why not simply use Part Extrude or PartDesign Pad directly on it? You would need to use the Sketcher Trimming tool to make sure all the walls form an uninterrupted region/island with no crossing line otherwise you will not get a valid solid. Contrary to SolidWorks, you cannot cherry-pick elements from a sketch when creating a 3D feature.
hajduk

Re: using sketcher WB and parametric sketch for house /walls

Post by hajduk »

Dear NormandC

thank you so much for the answers!

I will try to form a solid in the way you describe.
Thank you so much!

A shame that this SolidWorks cherry picking of elements (be it sketch geometry or body lines) is not possible.

All the best

Martin