Polar Pattern - Shapes do not Intersect Support

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreeCAD97990

Polar Pattern - Shapes do not Intersect Support

Post by FreeCAD97990 »

Hi,
I'm a recently retired Chartered Engineer, and am using FreeCAD 0.17 to do some real design work. I have had some 25 years in Product Design consultancy, working alongside people using NX/Ideas, SolidWorks, Creo, and Ansys and Abacus FEA.

I am finding 0.17 is now almost bug-free, and very much better to work with than 0.16. With 0.16 you often ended up fighting the CAD, and there were many things that you just could not do. With 0.17 you can sit down with some confidence that you will complete the task. (But the parts I am working on are not very complicated). I am using the FEM package too, and getting good results.

Thank you very much for FreeCAD, on behalf of myself, and engineers everywhere. Please keep up the good work!!!

There is a problem I have encountered which is preventing me from using the Polar Pattern tool. I have created a Plate (see image below), and then used the Pocket tool to make a line depression graduation (0.1 wide x 0.1 deep) on the Plate which indicates a zero degree angular position. I am then using the Polar Pattern tool to create other degree graduations (0...360 degrees) on the Plate at 10 degree intervals. I have created an Axis Datum for the Polar Pattern. This Axis Datum does NOT intersect the Plate.

I have used the Polar Pattern Tool, and it does everything that I wanted it to do. It gives me all of the graduation lines that there should be on the plate. Good!! Now I want to proceed to do the shorter 5 degree and then do the 1 degree graduations......

But FreeCAD will not allow me to proceed. It tells me that the Transformation has failed! The reason that FreeCAD thinks the Transformation has failed is because one (or more) of the transformed shapes (lines) did not intersect the Plate.

But I know they don't all intersect, I did not expect them to intersect, and I don't care that they don't intersect. I just want it to perform the Pocket function where it can, not to worry about the others, and allow me to carry on.

I think this is not a Transformation failure. If it is flagged up to the operator at all, it should only be as a Warning. But I think that even a warning may not be necessary. On the screen, you can see the lines in red that the Pocket would form, if the Plate were there.

I am using 0.17 11455 (Git) under Windows 10 64 Bit.

Regards,

David.
FreeCAD Transformation.png
FreeCAD Transformation.png (229.56 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Polar Pattern - Shapes do not Intersect Support

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello David,

Welcome here.

There have been quite a few bugs related to transformation features that were recently fixed, but some may still remain.

As a workaround to continue your design, what if you made the cutout in the plate only after you've added all the line depression graduations?
FreeCAD97990

Post by FreeCAD97990 »

Hi NormandC,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I've done that as a work around.

I was really just reporting what I consider to be a bug.

I hope I put it in the right place in the forum.

Regards,

David
alx

Post by alx »

Nope...this bug is still not repaired. The problem just happened to me.

EDIT: Though, I created multiple disconnected shapes which does not create one body.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This discussion is rather old, can you upload a preferably simple file with a detailed description how to reproduce?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FreeCAD97990

Post by FreeCAD97990 »

Chris,

I raised Bug ID 0004048 on this matter in July 2019.

My Bug Report includes four simple files, together with a detailed description of what (I think) is causing this bug to occur.

Just looked again now, and Bug 0004048 has not yet been assigned.

David.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Heads-up: you can link to bugs by using the

Code: Select all

[bug]4048[/bug]
like so: issue #4048
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cram

Post by cram »

Is this still a problem/bug? I am getting the same message when trying to create a polar pattern. Is there a workaround if not?
Attachments
Coulter_Hub_Bearing3.FCStd
(17.15 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As we already told you in your other post: A body contains always a single contiguous solid!
You can have your balls in one body only if they intersect. You want to have multiple instances of the whole body. Use Draft Array in its polar form on the whole body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.