[0.17] Using expressions for datum plane angles

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
prof7bit

[0.17] Using expressions for datum plane angles

Post by prof7bit »

I am currently trying to arrange some datum planes, lines and points for a part to get all my dimensions and distances correct and still be able to tweak parameters afterwards with the help of the spreadsheet feature and expressions but unfortunately I cannot figure out how to make the roll angle of a plane be derived from an expression instead of a hardcoded number (See screenshot)

The Yaw, Pitch and Roll angles do not have this little blue symbol on them to enter expressions. Is it already planned to implement them later or is there another way to achieve this (without having to insert additional datum lines or points and trigonometric functions)?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11504 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: a390d01cc8f42f561894f1667414d401c3acbe3c
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: [0.17] Using expressions for datum plane angles

Post by DeepSOIC »

It is not possible to set expressions in the dialog, but you can get an expression if only one of the angles is nonzero (then, you can set an expression to superPlacement's Angle property of the datum plane)
prof7bit

Re: [0.17] Using expressions for datum plane angles

Post by prof7bit »

DeepSOIC wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 pm you can set an expression to superPlacement's Angle property
Great, this works perfectly. Thank you!

I don't know why it did not come to my mind to try entering it in the properties pane instead of the dialog.