Usage of Shape binder

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Dekonstruierer

Re: Usage of Shape binder

Post by Dekonstruierer »

Ok, just to spam you a little bit :P , in the attached file, I cant delete any edges and faces in ShapeBinder003 and I only can see one edge of the shape binder.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11528 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d31be3117de386b4f6cd3444e0b330db56dc6ba2
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Attachments
Binder003-cant-delete-face,objects of facebinder not shown.FCStd
(26 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Dekonstruierer

Post by Dekonstruierer »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:58 pm In the process of attempting to find a workaround (mainly: only select relevant faces of the original Body to be copied by the Shapebinder so it's not copied as an enclosed volume) I found what I believe are two other separate bugs; one of them makes FreeCAD crash. I'll need further testing to make sense of it all then will report the issues on the bug tracker.
Hello,
in 11779 the bug still seems to be there. I would like to try to fix the bug, but yesterday I built FreeCAD the first time from source. Can you give me a hint where the solids are created? I really would like to fix this bug, because in my workflow, it really is a problem, as I am using the shape binder very often.

Thank you in advance!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Linking issue #3159 that was opened by OP
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Dekonstruierer

Post by Dekonstruierer »

wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

@ickby can you have a look at this issue, please? I wonder if this is really a bug or not. Recently freecad-heini-1 had a use case where he got an existing STEP model from a client and he wanted to modify this model in PD. The only way that works is to create a body, select the whole imported model and use the shape binder. Afterwards it is possible to modify the shape.

So, in this case it's explicitly desired behaviour that the solid of the shape binder is added to the newly created shape. If however the current behaviour is considered as bug then:
  • the suggested PR is by far not sufficient
  • an alternative way is needed to modify imported models
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I had a quick look at the discussion. Indeed the ShapeBinder is not intended to become Part of the Model, if it gets merged, after e.g. Patting a face of it, it is a bug.

There are two ways for using existing Parts:

- First is using base objects. You achive that by selecting a object bevore creating the body, or changing the BaseFeature property of the body.
- Using PDN booleans. You can create a boolean operation in PDN and drag every Part::Feature into it. It will be fused/cut/common with the existing PartDesign features in the body. A boolean can also be the very first feature, so if you don't want to use the base objct you can start a body with moving something into a boolen at first place.

The reason for having those two possibilities instead of makign Shapebinder "convertible" is the feature order. Shapebinder can be at any position in the body feature chain, and hence it becomes undefined what happens if there is some shape already existing. Hence two alternative methods: One for starting the Part with, one for changing it with existing shapes.

Note: Both methods will only work after PR https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/994
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ickby wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm The reason for having those two possibilities instead of makign Shapebinder "convertible" is the feature order.
But with your two ways using existing Parts, what happens to the original part? Is it moved, or is it linked? It is important to have an option to parametrically link an external shape into a new body as base solid, but to keep the original separate and outside the body. Kind of what a Draft Clone does, if you will.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

But with your two ways using existing Parts, what happens to the original part? Is it moved, or is it linked?
The base object will only be linked. The original will stay outside of the body.
When using the boolean the part will be moved inside the boolean and vanish outside the body.

The second may not be always preferable, but I had in mind that someday we become the "instances" in FreeCAD and than it would not matter anyway.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

It's always good to have choice!
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

One idee: I did not try it, b ut it shoudl work to move a Draft clone into PDN boolean. So if one really wants to keep the original outside the body it would work :)